Character Sheet Tool

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

UntoldGlory wrote:Well, I'm no lawyer, but I'll still give the 'ole GSL a read when I get home to try and get a lock on this thing. Hopefully it's not too many pages long.
I'm interested to hear what your thoughts will be.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

I started with the FAQ, and this caught my eye:
Q. What do I do on my website if I can not use the GSL?
A. Wizards will release a fansite policy in the future that will offer a limited license for specified uses. Websites are not licensed under the GSL.
Oh, it also mentions that the reason you can't refer to a page number in the core books is because a reprint might change the correct page. They use the term "repaginated", which doesn't sound like a real word to me. :P
GSL wrote:3. Licensed Products. The license granted in Section 4 is for use solely in connection with Licensee’s publication, distribution, and sale of roleplaying games and roleplaying game supplements that contain the Licensed Materials and are published in a hardcover or soft-cover printed book format or in a single-download electronic book format (such as .pdf), and accessory products to the foregoing roleplaying games and roleplaying game supplements that are not otherwise listed as excluded in Section 5.5 (“Licensed Products”).
Publication, distribution, and sale of RPGs and RPG supplements as defined in this section do not appear to cover RPtools offerings, I'm gonna keep reading though, cause section 5.5 might cover it.
SRD wrote:Applied Mechanical Results
You may print the results of applied mechanics within the context of your Licensed Product. For example, you may not reprint the statistics of a kobold wyrmpriest or the lich template in a Licensed Product, nor may you define these 4E References. You may, however, print a kobold wyrmpriest lich that you create and that is relevant to your Licensed Product. Similarly, when you create an NPC, you may apply the NPC Magic Threshold (D&D 4E Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 187) rule to that NPC. You might also print the specific attack bonus and damage for an NPC’s paladin power, even though you cannot reprint the power text from the D&D 4E Player’s Handbook.
also
SRD wrote:Map Symbols
Your maps may use symbols identical to or like those depicted in the D&D 4E Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 112.
that's an important bit.

Bingo! The following are all allowed by the SRD
Table Usage
Although you can’t reproduce any table excluded from t
SRD, you can use the mechanical expressions identified
association with the tables listed in this section. This usa
must be in context relevant to your original work in you
Licensed Product. The section on Applied Mechanical
Results reasonably covers parts of this section, but such
tables are nevertheless included here for maximum clar
D&D 4E Player’s Handbook Tables
Making Characters
Ability Modif iers (Modifiers; page 17)
Language (Languages and speakers; page 25)

Races
Applied mechanical results of racial traits for individual
races; pages 34–49)

Classes
Applied mechanical results of class abilities for individu
character classes; pages 60–169—does not include
paragon paths.
Good, Lawful Good, and Unaligned Deit ies (alignment and a
of influence; page 62)
Evil and Chaot ic Evil Deit ies (alignment and areas of influe
page 62)
Skill Tables (Tasks and DCs; pages 180–189)

Equipment
Armor (Statistics and applied mechanical results; page 2
Melee Weapons (Statistics and applied mechanical result
pages 218–219)
Ranged Weapons (Statistics and applied mechanical resu
page 219)
Weapons and Size, One Handed and Two-Handed (applie
mechanical results; page 220)
Adventuring Gear (Statistics; page 222)
Food, Drink, and Lodging (Statistics; page 222)
Mount or Transport (Statistics; page 222)
Magic Item Prices (Purchase prices; page 223)
Enhancement (Applied results of levels as they affect
enhancement bonus; page 225)
Combat
Attack Modifiers (applied mechanical results; page 279)
All Charactertool would really do is use "applied mechanical results". It's not a rules reference product. Sure, an individual could make up power cards to use in a deck, but RPtools is not making or distributing them.

Also covered in the SRD are the "guts" of the DMG and the Monster manual. Not specific creatures, but things like reach, size, etc.

The Players handbook allowed references include just about everything, as long as you don't reprint the rules themselves. The way it seems, you could have Chartool List all the stuff (i.e. Click on Half Elf and see what it's racial features were), but not explain it (i.e. Cannot hover over Dilettante to find out what it does). You could then use the "applied mechanical results" to get things like +s to hit with powers, HP, AC, etc, it just can't tell you how it got those results.

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

Wait, you're getting this from the FAQ? I think you really need to read the GSL instead. It says something different in regards to printing or displaying mechanical elements.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

No, check who "wrote" the quotes. Only the first quote is the FAQ. The rest are from the GSL or SRD.

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

UntoldGlory wrote:No, check who "wrote" the quotes. Only the first quote is the FAQ. The rest are from the GSL or SRD.
OK, I overlooked that. Still, the SRD is one thing, the GSL is a completely different. It dictates what you can or cannot do under the license, which the SRD is only a reference document of game elements.

Edit: Your quotes are missing text.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Amaril wrote:
UntoldGlory wrote:Edit: Your quotes are missing text.
stupid copying from PDFs

Oh, and according to WotC, the SRD is a reference document detailing Terms, Tables and Templates that are available for license under the GSL. So not completley seperate, more of an adendum.

Mortani
Giant

Post by Mortani »

WOW, 23018 views of this one thread. I wonder if there is much interest for this type of app?? :lol:

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I certainly hope so, since I have just released the first alpha version (took me long enough :)). See the details of the release here: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=4240

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

/me does a little dance.

/me makes a little love.

/me generally gets down tonight.

Woo!

Buttmonkey
Kobold

Post by Buttmonkey »

Hi, just wanted to put in a plug/request to add a Castles & Crusades character sheet to CharTool if/when the powers that be get a chance.

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”