Request: Using Tables and the Chat Window for Menus

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

RedDog
Dragon

Request: Using Tables and the Chat Window for Menus

Post by RedDog »

I have been hoping that this functionality would make it's way into MapTools for awhile. I know that focus is on other things (health bars, scripting, etc, etc) but I thought I would throw it out anyway to see what people think...

What I have wanted is the ability to build a tree structure using tables where a variable could be passed to a table, and then a user could be prompted to enter a value that would allow the result to call another table, and so on. Currently, only a random number or a passed value using the tbl command will work.

My thought was to add two functions
1) The ability of the table to accept input through a variable
2) Adding a text box to the table with a flag. If the flag is checked, the text would be displayed in the chat window prior to the execution of the die/roll or variable

The combination of the two would allow tree structures to be used. I can see this being used for quick reference spell books or for random event trees. One of the games we play, Warhammer Quest, uses cards combined with player choices to create events players must deal with (similar to a choose your own adventure book).

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Interesting. I'll add a tracker for that.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

RedDog
Dragon

Post by RedDog »

Thanks trevor.

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”