Request for Input: Initiative Tool

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Should we create a Initiative Tool

Yes
74%
No, no automation needed
11%
No, there is already a great solution (please post link)
16%

Total votes: 19

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

dooglio wrote:I know that this post is a bit after the fact, but I wanted to let you know that Turn Watcher has the ability to redefine the dice roll for Initiative. Eventually we will turn on the ability to have different die rolls per secret check.

We have also just released a new version (1.2) which now has the ability to track spell and ability effects, which should enhance your game!
Welcome Dooglio! I had looked at Turn Watcher back in April last year. Seemed like a pretty capable d20 turn manager but too specific to d20 to be used for game systems that vary much from the d20 mechanics.

Glad to see you have made some improvements since then but the kind of features needed for managing DQ combat are still missing and I'll be the first to admit that the numbers of DQ players still around wouldn't justify the effort in a commercial product.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Would it be possible to modify the settings to predefine settings for timers? Specifically, I would like to be able to define commonly used spells and quickly add them. Each spell would be named by a specific name and would have a specific duration.

As today, when creating a new alarm, it would be owned by the current initiative owner. The new functionality would have the name filled in already (selected as the first UI action), have the rounds active pre filled in, and start on the initiative of the current initative.

Additional things that would be nice to this would be:
* add X to the timer/spell's initiative, either in a hard casting time such as 5 initiative counts and/or full rounds. For example, lets say the current initiative is 17 and the spell is defined as 3 rounds casting time, so it begins taking effect on initiative count 14. Alternatly, a spell that takes 2 rounds to cast would begin on the current users initiative 2 rounds from now (assuming the caster does not get the spell ruined in some way, such as dieing!!) Perhaps there can even be some type of state for this such as "casting" to indicate it has not taken effect yet.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Currently that isn't possible. I've added support for scripting to IT and I plan on adding spell support that will do what you ask. I'll add trackers for the ability to predefine timers and for a delayed affect. Those will be useful for the D&D spell support.

In the future it might be better to make Init Tool requests in the Init Tool forum. I check there more often :)

dooglio
Kobold

Post by dooglio »

Phergus wrote: Welcome Dooglio! I had looked at Turn Watcher back in April last year. Seemed like a pretty capable d20 turn manager but too specific to d20 to be used for game systems that vary much from the d20 mechanics.

Glad to see you have made some improvements since then but the kind of features needed for managing DQ combat are still missing and I'll be the first to admit that the numbers of DQ players still around wouldn't justify the effort in a commercial product.
Thanks Phergus!

I personally wouldn't mind altering the tool to work with other gaming systems. I don't know much about Dragon Quest, but I was wondering how different it is from D&D. I was also attempting to alter the tool to work with Warhammer FR. They use a "Wounds" system, and the initiative dice is based on d10 (but the skill checks are d100).

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”