Token Editor

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

mwjones10
Cave Troll

Token Editor

Post by mwjones10 »

Is there an external app besides MapTools that can edit the token macros/properties/etc? If not, if I make one using C#, would anyone else want it?
Characters:
EPIC
Sacromus
Nozragorum
PARAGON
Luminos
Mentok
Morthos Char
Blitz
Deshric
Bazriel
Grahl
Izzrak
HEROIC
Mike Oxevy
Thorlief
Grimnoft Ironfist
Kelric
Clef Anders
Kelend Ventrue

CS responses

Merkuri
Giant

Re: Token Editor

Post by Merkuri »

We should probably stick with Java for new tools like that. I don't think a C# application will have the same ability to be run on multiple OSs like Java does.

Honestly, though, I think if you wanted to be able to properly test things like macros you would probably need to re-implement all of MapTool (which is obviously not an efficient use of anyone's time), and if you can't test macros I don't really see a need for the tool. How hard is it to just drop your token into a "sandbox" campaign and edit it there?
Adventure is not outside; it is within.
--Found in a fortune cookie on game night

MapTool Framework for Sufficiently Advanced

mwjones10
Cave Troll

Post by mwjones10 »

It's not terribly hard, just somewhat inconvenient. I just want a multiline textbox editor for the macros and properties really. Since these are all 1 line edit boxes in the maptool token editor, I was considering making a treeviewer that you could edit the nodes individually in a multiline text box. I would definitely still use maptools to test the macros, but editing them would be much easier with such a tool. I haven't used Java in over 10 years. I won't be making the tool any time soon because work really has been bogged down. Just thought I would throw the idea out there. If anyone wants said tool, send me a PM and I'll email it to you after I complete it.
Characters:
EPIC
Sacromus
Nozragorum
PARAGON
Luminos
Mentok
Morthos Char
Blitz
Deshric
Bazriel
Grahl
Izzrak
HEROIC
Mike Oxevy
Thorlief
Grimnoft Ironfist
Kelric
Clef Anders
Kelend Ventrue

CS responses

Lindharin
Dragon

Post by Lindharin »

There is a multi-line editor for macros. Just right-click on any macro in the selection, global, campaign or impersonated panels and choose edit.

And it would probably be easier to use the frame/dialog support in maptool to create a multi-line property editor than to create one from scratch in any external application.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Why not talk to Jay and help him get CharTool finished up? The end result is that that is supposed to be the be all, end all token editor, though I am not sure if he had in mind to do a reverse edit (ie, suck a token in and transform it back into CharTool objects.)
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”