ChatTool (Low Bandwidth)

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

ryffreturns
Kobold

ChatTool (Low Bandwidth)

Post by ryffreturns »

I did some work for OpenRPG a few years back, but lamented its Python implementation and some core design oversights. I love MapTool; in many ways, it is what OpenRPG could have/should have been.

So this suggestion comes with much aforethought -- and not just programming expertise, but scholarly research into Group Dynamics. I spent a lot of time trying to answer the question, "How can online play be made as close to face-to-face gaming as possible?" (I wont cite the bibliography here, but if you want, I can certainly e-mail it to you.)

It also addresses some of the concerns in the Virtual Chat thread posted a few days ago.

Oovoo, the best competitor to my suggestion may take a number of years before it can [robustly] support 8-10 video sessions. So I think my suggestion is good for a five year run -- maybe more because it may actually offer some advantages over FtF gaming, which I'll mention at the end.

I propose a chat ap with two visual implementations. The first is the classical chat window (which MapTool already has). The second is a screen of tiled avatar "head shots" that do two things: (1) Display a pop-up, comic-book style speech balloon with chatted text in it (visible for a few seconds). And (2), the head shots can change their expression to one of x (pick a good number) preset emotions. Let me elaborate on how these two things can interact with user input.

(1) The speech balloon can be of a variety of kinds: ordinary balloon, jagged YELLING balloon, cloud-shaped thought balloon, icicle dripping cold balloon, square (no tail) narration balloon (for GM or disembodied chat). The type of balloon is keyed off of a little grammar: chat beginning with a colon is a thought; chat ending with three or more exclamation points is YELLING, etc.

(2) The head shots are actually single images in an array of images (I suggest 9 as an upper bounds), each element position corresponding to a given "emoticon" (pick the 9 most essential) -- that is element 1 is "neutral", element 2 is "LOL", etc. That array, I dub it an "emotrix," should be user maintainable. Players can insert GIF images of themselves with the corresponding emotional expressions on their faces, or drawn images of their character with said emotrix of emotions. A preset syntax in the chat would, like the speech balloon type, change the head shot to the corresponding emotion. Again the default behavior is a momentary shift to the new expression and then, after a delay, a shift back to the prior image (i.e. - a momentary smile, not a permanent grin). That said, a permanent shift should be allowed by typing a given symbol in the text. (Let's say ending your chat statement with a plus sign lets the ChatTool know it should keep the new facial expression, not revert to the prior one).

Of course, these special characters embedded in the chat text should, where appropriate, be stripped from the outputted text in the speech bubbles; as for the text in the regular chat transcript (should the user decide to change the chat VIEW to "classic" mode) you could translate them to the usual little smiley-face emoticons: :D :wink: :) :( :o :shock: :? :cry: :P

The downside of this suggestion is the nine-fold work in creating 9 GIFs to fill out an emotrix. Or, in the case of a GM, who might want to speak as several different characters, creating many emotrices. Perhaps a helpful solution is to offer a certain set of premade emotrices. Certainly, it should be allowed that a player or GM simply add a single GIF to the emotrix, and the ap should then treat that as the default for all the empty elements in the array -- allowing players to opt-out of full emotional expression (and overworked GMs to pop up a character on-the-fly without being forced to have all 9 emotional images created).

The upside of this implementation is that it provides facial, textual, and visual emotional cues with very little effort during play -- and uses hardly any bandwidth. In addition to the disembodied "player" and "GM" , every map token could also be allowed to have its own emotrix. (P.S. - All the sociological data show that the FACIAL cues are key.)

Here I might hazard that this also offers an advantage to Oovoo, no matter how many sessions it can jockey: Players normally don't don a mask every time they speak as a character, and GM's certainly don't keep an arsenal of masks for every NPC and monster they play -- so Oovoo (or Skype) is limited (albeit, it is "limited" in the same way FtF gaming is). So I tentatively suggest that, in this one particular aspect, this kind of chat ap might actually be better that FtF in the immersive dimension.

Thanks for considering,
RyffReturns
Gamer, Programmer, etc. at large

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: ChatTool (Low Bandwidth)

Post by Azhrei »

Welcome to RPTools, ryff!

Those are some very interesting ideas.

For the GM, it might be enough to simply add color shading to the image being projected to the players as a way to differentiate who is speaking. When the elf speaks, the face turns a greenish tint and when the half-orc is speaking, the face has an orange tint. Of course, that would get old pretty quickly, but it would be an easy way to provide quick feedback to the players.

I know nothing about integrating video into Java, but this has me thinking that I should learn. ;)

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

Meh. I would never use this myself.

Mathemagician
Dragon

Post by Mathemagician »

Personally, I think these are interesting ideas. I don't understand why the "headshots" should be a separate window, because I already feel pressed for space. Instead, I would like it if the text could appear above the tokens on the battlemap, perhaps with some light transparency so that it doesn't wholly obscure the rest of the map. Your facial expressions could appear along-side the bubble, perhaps, or a separate "head shot" could be included with the token to go along with that. There would have to be some distinction on where macro-output would go, too, I suppose.

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

Anything that obscures my map or chat window, I want to be able to turn off. Too many people out there think they're great artists or have a good sense of colors... but ugh...

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

Anything that obscures my map or chat window, I want to be able to turn off. Too many people out there think they're great artists or have a good sense of colors... but ugh...

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

Brigand wrote:Anything that obscures my map or chat window, I want to be able to turn off. Too many people out there think they're great artists or have a good sense of colors... but ugh...
I agree fully here.
--
Big Mac

Hoorah
Kobold

Post by Hoorah »

Hey I would just like speech attached to tokens that fades after a couple of seconds.

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

It certainly would take a lot of screen real estate. I'm not so certain this would work well for MapTool, because I have enough difficulty fitting everything I want on the screen (and that's with two monitors).

However, many MMOs and chat-based games do exactly what you're describing. Typing "LOL" results in an avatar laughing, or "-_-" results in a sigh.
My D&D 4e Campaign FrameworkMy Shadowrun 4e Campaign Framework
RPGA#: 5223846427 — Skype: Veggiesama — Fear the ferret.

hyperactiveChipmunk
Cave Troll

Post by hyperactiveChipmunk »

Very well thought-out; very interesting take--although I think most respondants here are forgetting this is the New Tool Requests board (and you can ignore Brigand...in my short time here I've found his only purpose is to attempt to make everyone else feel as miserable as he seems to be all of the time).

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there is much call for it, with voice chat offering so much greater communications bandwith for most groups. This isn't meant to be discouraging, however. Your point about the increased authenticity over even face-to-face gaming is a very good one. I think it's a great idea and I'd certainly love to give it a shot. Good luck with your effort!

-hC

Cormac
Kobold

Post by Cormac »

I think this is really a nice idea and you should do it. If it is possible to choose not to use this tool everybody should be happy. Well you cant please everybody all the time but that's life...

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

*waves bye bye to the chipmunk* Welcome to my ignore list.

Mathemagician
Dragon

Post by Mathemagician »

hyperactiveChipmunk wrote:
Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there is much call for it, with voice chat offering so much greater communications bandwith for most groups.

-hC
On the other hand, my group behaves perhaps differently. My voice is the voice of the DM, their voices are just that, the players voices. We use the chatbox for all in character dialogue, because it helps us stay "in character" in the sense that we are not all good at modulating our voices to match our character image. We do use voicechat, but just for out of character questions or comments. I might say "He grins as he says this" or a player might ask "Can I reach this enemy from here?"

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Cormac wrote:I think this is really a nice idea and you should do it. If it is possible to choose not to use this tool everybody should be happy. Well you cant please everybody all the time but that's life...
I'd like to see this implemented because I think it might be fun to play around with. I'm not sure I'd use it as I don't have any experience with a similar tool, but I still think it'd be cool. :)

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

Mathemagician wrote:
hyperactiveChipmunk wrote:
Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there is much call for it, with voice chat offering so much greater communications bandwith for most groups.

-hC
On the other hand, my group behaves perhaps differently. My voice is the voice of the DM, their voices are just that, the players voices. We use the chatbox for all in character dialogue, because it helps us stay "in character" in the sense that we are not all good at modulating our voices to match our character image. We do use voicechat, but just for out of character questions or comments. I might say "He grins as he says this" or a player might ask "Can I reach this enemy from here?"
That is the point though to make it flexible so that these can be used in different way.

All Voice so that when a token is impersonated it shows as talking.

Voice for none in game communication. Impersonate same token you type and it show up in a speech bubble.

All typing no voice works too.

Now that all being said. I am not sure that the performance hit for voice would be worth it. If it was integrated into Maptool.maybe it could read line out/Mic for activity but that is all conjecture on my part.

I know my group has challenges because of technical limitations. One of out group when he is remote can not get his voice to not loop/reverb when on skype so he just listens and type his thoughts. Which are then read aloud.
--
Big Mac

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”