Appending a JSON object to a JSON array token property

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

ziltmilt
Dragon

Appending a JSON object to a JSON array token property

Post by ziltmilt »

I'm a little rusty with my Maptool macro syntax, and I'm working on a framework for d6 Star Wars. One of the campaign properties is a list of JSON objects representing ranged weapons. I've got a table of JSON objects, with each row representing a single ranged weapon.

This macro cycles through the table, presents a LIST of weapons, and then is supposed to add the selected weapon to the selected token. It works fine, except that it always adds the weapon from row #2 of my table. In other words, the variable weaponNum is always set to = 1. BTW, the variable rangedWeapons is the token's property, a JSON array holding a list of JSON object.

Code: Select all

[h: rangedWeaponsAll = ""]
[h: wpnName = ""]
[h, for(x, 1, 7, 1, ""), code: {

[h: wpnRow = table("RangedWeapons", x)]
   [h: wpnName = wpnName + "," + json.get(wpnRow, "WeaponName")]
	<!-- rangedWeaponsAll is a JSON array of all Ranged Weapons -->       
   [h: rangedWeaponsAll = json.append(rangedWeaponsAll, table("RangedWeapons", x))]

}]

[h: wpnName = trim(wpnName)]
[h: wpnName = substring(wpnName, 1, length(wpnName))]

[h: weaponNum=input("varName|" + wpnName + "|Select Ranged Weapon to Add to Token|LIST|SELECT=0")]
[h: RangedWeapons = json.append(rangedWeapons, json.get(rangedWeaponsAll, weaponNum))]

I can't figure out why it would do this. the INPUT function is supposed to return a number representing the selecting, starting at an index of 0. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

ziltmilt
Dragon

Re: Appending a JSON object to a JSON array token property

Post by ziltmilt »

Yeah, I'm still stumped. This always returns a value of 1 as well:

[h: var = 0]
[h: var=input("varName|a,b,c,e,f|Choose a letter|LIST")]
{var}

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

ziltmilt wrote:Yeah, I'm still stumped. This always returns a value of 1 as well:

[h: var = 0]
[h: var=input("varName|a,b,c,e,f|Choose a letter|LIST")]
{var}
input is a function that returns 1 or 0. It returns 1 if you click okay and 0 if you click cancel. That way you know if someone entered input. The value you're looking for is varName which holds the index of your list. You can have it return the value by adding to the end |VALUE=STRING after LIST.

This is how I usually do it.

[H: myList = "a,b,c,e,f"]
[H: abort(input(strformat("index|%{myList}|Choose a letter.|LIST")))]
[H: letter = listGet(myList,index)]
[R: letter]
OR

[H: abort(input(strformat("letter|%{myList}|Choose a letter.|LIST|VALUE=STRING")))]
[R: letter]
The difference is that my list could be a nicely formatted list specifically for the input functions output and I use the index for another list that correlates to the input to get my value. For example

[H: resultList = "A is for Apple,B is for Ball,C is for Cat,E is for Elephant,F is for Falcon"]
[H: abort(input(strformat("index|%{myList}|Choose a letter.|LIST")))]
[H: result = listGet(resultList ,index)]
[R: result]

ziltmilt
Dragon

Post by ziltmilt »

Thank you! Once again, I'm reminded of how awesome this community is.

Return to “Macros”