Feature request - set state on another token untrusted

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

bubblobill
Giant

Feature request - set state on another token untrusted

Post by bubblobill »

I would like to be able to define states in Campaign Properties that are accessible and changeable by PC macros.

Example problem:
Currently if I target one of the 20 bad guys in a combat, go off to make some toast and get a drink, when I come back I have to go hovering over all the bad guys trying to remember if he was Bad Guy 16 or Bad Guy 11.

Example solution:
If I target "Bad Guy 11", I update the NPC token state "Targeted" to TRUE, then he grows a nice little visual indicator like a red dot on his forehead, or in the corner of the square, whatever.

It is now much easier to sit back down at my laptop and work out which of the buggers is the one who insulted my Great Aunt and started the fight.

Similarly, in my group, annoying players who cast spells that target an individual and follow him around currently stick a token on the map representing the spell effect and move it to follow the target.

Thoughts anyone?
Bubblobill on the forum.
@Reverend on the MapTool Discord Server

Responsible for less atrocities than most... I do accept responsibility for these though: SmartDoors, Simple d20 Framework - barebones, Drop-in: All 3.5 SRD Monsters, Drop in: Simple Character Editor, Battletech Framework

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: Feature request - set state on another token untrusted

Post by Jagged »

I assume the request is for you (as a player) to be able to create states for your personal use? I can see that would be quite useful.

There are ways you could mirror this, of course. You can store things in tokens you own, regardless of the properties present in the campaign property config. So you could create notes about tokens, and then store and retrieve them from a token you own.

Ditto
Giant

Post by Ditto »

bubblobill wrote:I would like to be able to define states in Campaign Properties that are accessible and changeable by PC macros.

Example problem:
Currently if I target one of the 20 bad guys in a combat, go off to make some toast and get a drink, when I come back I have to go hovering over all the bad guys trying to remember if he was Bad Guy 16 or Bad Guy 11.

Example solution:
If I target "Bad Guy 11", I update the NPC token state "Targeted" to TRUE, then he grows a nice little visual indicator like a red dot on his forehead, or in the corner of the square, whatever.

It is now much easier to sit back down at my laptop and work out which of the buggers is the one who insulted my Great Aunt and started the fight.

Similarly, in my group, annoying players who cast spells that target an individual and follow him around currently stick a token on the map representing the spell effect and move it to follow the target.

Thoughts anyone?
we did something similar in our group, really simple actually .. just create a handful of simple states, and name them (pc1, pc2, etc.) or custom1, custom2 .. or whatever ..

We used small colored dots, that only showed when you hovered over - helped reduce clutter, but if you knew what you were looking for, a quick mouse over everyone found the guy quick enough :)

Then you "adopt a state". "Hey guys, I'm using pc1 state for myself". Then code it as you will.
*shrug*

The other thought is to reverse it. Rather than tracking the state on the target, track the information on the source. That is, on your own token, have a property that stores the name of the token you're targetting.
Push a button to ask "who am I targetting" and it can do a quick "find token by name" and center/focus on it. :)

metatheurgist
Dragon

Post by metatheurgist »

If we're taking requests, can we have getDistance() untrusted? :wink:

I think it's valid for a player to get accurate target distances for their macros. Just return -1 for tokens that the player shouldn't be able to see if that's the concern.

Return to “Macros”