Help with macros calling on macros, and lib tokens.

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Irrlicht
Dragon

Re: Help with macros calling on macros, and lib tokens.

Post by Irrlicht »

Alright, you seem to have fixed the issues from your previous post while I was writing.

For the other question in that post... you need to pass everything you need on and on through parts, until you reach a moment when you won't need it in any of the following parts, so, if you don't need a variable in PT2 but you do in PT3, you still have to extract each element from macro.args, and then store it again, wether it's been used and changed or not, by using json.append() again at the end of the current part to pass it to the next.
Well, actually this isn't literally true, but unless you are very comfortable with jsons and really have no trouble in keeping track of what is exactly what at any given moment, I'd highly recommend you to extract everything at the start of each part, and at its end store again what you'll need in next parts.

And for the trouble you're having now: I think you're missing the "[macro.return]" parts (look at the wiki again) at the end of each part (except the last, because it doesn't have another macro after it from which to take data).
"There are many ways my Son, to find where the souls of Demons remain...
But it takes only one second of despair and of doubt until, at last, your Soul they will gain..."

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Its possible that your players run maptool wrong and it gets no memory assignment, leading to stack overflow. Have you tried the launcher linked in my sig below. I would say that with stack 4 this should run

Shadowfireomega
Giant

Post by Shadowfireomega »

So yea, I spent 24 hours just chillin on my last question, wondering if I had done something incredibly stupid to just stun you guys and prevent you from answering... when all that happened was we got to page two, and I was just sitting on page one xD

Thank you wolph, I believe you had suggested this to me in another post of mine, but I skimmed over it, saying something like 'as a last resort', and tried other things then the actual game distracted me from downloading it, but I should have done it ages ago, it works like a charm, or even better than a charm given those can take ages to work, and your launcher worked almost instantly xD.

Even though I no longer need this macro, I will still work on it, if only just to learn how to use this function properly for a future macro I may implement that will most likely need it. So I am going to try what you mentioned Irrlicht.

Ok, so do I need to macro.return all the variables in the second macro?
"I love being wrong, for if I was always right, there would be nothing left to learn, and that would be a world I would not want to live in."
-Benjamin Fisher
"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
-Miles Kington
"Space is his favorite thing in the world!"
-Kayla Kros
"Anything times 1 is 1"
-Kayla Kros

Irrlicht
Dragon

Post by Irrlicht »

In the third too.
Actually, I've never tried to split a macro in more than two, so in my mind there are some vague doubts of possible troubles with the parts after the second... others surely know better, but try anyway and see.
"There are many ways my Son, to find where the souls of Demons remain...
But it takes only one second of despair and of doubt until, at last, your Soul they will gain..."

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

It would be so much easier to define them as a user defined function and then not refresh the scope. That way you don't have to hassle with all the vars. look it up in the wiki.

Shadowfireomega
Giant

Post by Shadowfireomega »

Hey you guys, thanks for all your help, I think I am going to drop the macro there, at least for the foreseeable future. The macro I was going to make was such a long and complex one (out of boredom I was going to take the loot rolls from the 3.5 DMG and make a random loot macro) that already has an app online, I don't think it would benefit me at all to make it. I will keep all you guys taught me in mind however, never know when I could need it ;D
"I love being wrong, for if I was always right, there would be nothing left to learn, and that would be a world I would not want to live in."
-Benjamin Fisher
"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
-Miles Kington
"Space is his favorite thing in the world!"
-Kayla Kros
"Anything times 1 is 1"
-Kayla Kros

Return to “Macros”