Bag of tricks macro cause player stack overflow

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Nolthestranger
Kobold

Bag of tricks macro cause player stack overflow

Post by Nolthestranger »

Hello ! I've been using MT for about 3-4 years, and as i got used to it, and started implementing more and more things in my campaigns ; i happened yesterday accross an error i couldn't solve :
Out of my 8 players, one has a stack overflow originating from the ontokenMove macro from Wolph's fantastic bag of tricks, every move his character takes triggers an error.

We tried :
Switching to MT1.4
Updating and reinstalling cleanly Java
Increasing stacksize (now to 5, been to 8, no succes)
Creating a completly new campaign file, and re-installing an up to date BoT, and then reuploading my maps
So far, nothing. Note that all these steps fixed the same problem one of my player had

Nb : I've dwelled on the forum for quite some time, but this is my first post, forgive me if the location was wrong !
Nol

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Bag of tricks macro cause player stack overflow

Post by Full Bleed »

Nolthestranger wrote:Out of my 8 players, one has a stack overflow originating from the ontokenMove macro from Wolph's fantastic bag of tricks, every move his character takes triggers an error.
Post his Gather Debug Information (from when he's getting the error).

Every time I've had a single player get stack errors that other players don't get was because they've launched MT using default settings by accident. Only way to be sure is to see their debug info.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Nolthestranger
Kobold

Post by Nolthestranger »

Will do, whenever he gets them again.. yup they vanished without a trace
Another player got them, and we fixed them by getting him to install java 64 instead of 32
Another one got them from using the "maptool" file instead of the launcher (might be what you are refering to by " using default settings by accident."

I'll get a debug if i ever get another one, thanks for the answers and hope my findings might benefit others !

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Nolthestranger wrote:Another player got them, and we fixed them by getting him to install java 64 instead of 32
It's definitely a good idea to use the 64 bit version when possible. But the memory settings they use are usually the primary culprit. Some will over-correct their memory settings after getting the error once and just cause more problems.
Another one got them from using the "maptool" file instead of the launcher (might be what you are refering to by " using default settings by accident."
That's the main way that usually happens. And players do it all the time. It's so bad that I often create a BAT file for my players and name it something like: "CLICK THIS TO RUN MAPTOOL".

Some still manage to click on the wrong file on occasion. :/
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “Macros”