Displaying a portion of the mpa in a macro input

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

shindu
Kobold

Displaying a portion of the mpa in a macro input

Post by shindu »

Hey Folks, I am working on building an AOE spell damage macro. The idea is that the player would select a target, check off AOE effect modifier on the skill level selection and then, optionally, manually select a location on the map grid (within reason) to detonate the spell.

I think i have 3 options.
1. only allow for targeting an enemy token.
2. create a small token for the wizard player to own that he can target for the AOE center.
3. allow for the input box to display a to scale version of a portion of the map, with tokens rendered as they would normally be. The player could then manually select where they would like to detonate the spell.

I am beginning to think 1 and 2 a feasible but 3 is not so easily accomplished. I haven't been able to find any examples of rendering the grid and input in a select-able manner in the input window, perhaps there is another function that might allow for the? Just looking for a point in the right direction.

Thanks!

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: Displaying a portion of the mpa in a macro input

Post by Jagged »

Yeah, number 3 isn't possible.

You may be able to find examples of the other two.

Personally I separate the whole drawing of aoe's from macros. Let the players draw their area then just run the macro and let them select targets.

Mrugnak
Dragon

Post by Mrugnak »

I've handled 3 instead by making a "targeting token" to indicate the center of the AOE and measuring out from there. Player puts the target wherever, macro is run, badaboom.

It's a very natural interface. Put an aura on the target and it'll even show you what's inside the AOE.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

My Pathfinder/D&D3.5 Framework has a working example of an AoE tool if you want to see an obfuscated example :-)

Return to “Macros”