Edit macros with Notepad++

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Holladerwaldelf
Cave Troll

Edit macros with Notepad++

Post by Holladerwaldelf »

Is there a more elegant way to edit macros with an editor like Notepad++ than to copy and paste the code from the edit-macro-mask of maptool into Notepad++, change the code there and then recopy and paste the changed code back into the edit-macro-mask of maptool?
Maptool has to save the code for each macro somewhere, doesn't it? But where?
Thank you for any help.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Edit macros with Notepad++

Post by aliasmask »

I have an update for Notepad++ and a drop-in called RPEdit that you can use. It's still cut and paste, but you can do multiple macros at a time. See my signature.

Holladerwaldelf
Cave Troll

Post by Holladerwaldelf »

Thank you for the answer. I am already using that.
I was hoping for an even better way. :)

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

So we had another request for reading/writing files via macro...

I'll have a submission for this for 1.4.3.x, but realized it may greatly assist this drop-in resource... So watch slack for updates ;)

Of course, there may be even better ways in the near future.......
-Jamz

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

JamzTheMan wrote:So we had another request for reading/writing files via macro...

I'll have a submission for this for 1.4.3.x, but realized it may greatly assist this drop-in resource... So watch slack for updates ;)

Of course, there may be even better ways in the near future.......
With the new java(javascript?) related functions, will the file operations be available?

Out of curiosity, how would people like to update macros? Currently, with notepad++ and rpedit all you need to do is select a token, run edit macros (which opens a frame), click load in the frame selecting either all, groups or individual macros (which loads in to textarea), copy, paste in to notepad++, edit, copy all or selected macros (ctrl-shift-c for single macro with my npp addon), paste in to textarea frame and click Save. Editing and testing from there is pretty simple. Having it read directly from the saved text file I think could cause unforeseen problems if say you have some bad formatting. Often in development I will make notes or leave bits of code outside of the formatted macro areas.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

My preference would be to edit the macros on the file system and have MapTool pick up changes, or have a command the refreshes macros from files. That way you can use whatever editor you want: eclipse, notepad++, or VIM - the ultimate code editor. :D
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

I was thinking a macro that read the file would still need to parse and place it in the proper macro. It really just skips the copy paste...

FYI e read/write macro function would we generic and for other uses too. It would only have access to a folder under .maptool as well for security purposes.
-Jamz

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

For what it's worth, I'd love to see that. It'd be a lot easier to update token properties en masse that way than tampering with .rptok files directly.

Return to “Macros”