Daily use tracking macros

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Irrlicht
Dragon

Daily use tracking macros

Post by Irrlicht »

Does anyone have macros for tracking the usage of daily abilities (spells, class abilities, etc) to share which is not strictly tied to their framework?

I wanted to do them on my own for Pathfinder, but was unsure how to structure them, especially given the immense variety of situations (spontaneous casters can cast any of their known spells as long as the total doesn't excess the max spells/day, prepared casters must keep track of every individual casting, some spell like abilities work 1/week or 1/month or 1/year, Barbarian Rage works with rounds/day, and on and on...).

I was thinking about making a macro to set the groups (like "Sorcerer Spells - Level 2" or "Spell-like Abilities - 1/day") and the max usage, then one to call them and change the number of remaining uses, but I'd like to hear (and see) what other people did.
"There are many ways my Son, to find where the souls of Demons remain...
But it takes only one second of despair and of doubt until, at last, your Soul they will gain..."

Irrlicht
Dragon

Re: Daily use tracking macros

Post by Irrlicht »

Nope, that would only be good for abilities that are spent in rounds/day, but can't help with times/day (besides the fact that I'm currently playing with a GM who never uses the macro I made to advance initiative, to much of my frustration, especially because it does already keeps track of certain things).

Given I have this sample data:

Wizard Spells Lvl 1: 4
- Alarm: 1
- Mage Armor: 1
- Magic Missile: 2

where the number in the first line is the total number of 1st level Wizard spells the token can prepare per day, the others are the numbers of each of those spells actually prepared for the day;

or...

Monster Spell-Like Abilities
- At will: Invisibility, Light
- 3/day: Gaseous Form, Polar Ray
- 1/day: Cause Fear, Pyrothecnics
- 1/week: Commune

where the "at will" abilities can have no limit, while the "1/day" ones have an automatic max of 1 each (the 1/week, 1/month, 1/year are rare and may be treated just like the 1/day ones; once used, they'd just be kept checked till restored manually);

I initially thought of doing this:
1) Add a token property that is an empty json object by default (assuming the default as not having any use-consumed ability). Let's call the property "DailyUseAbilities".
2) Store categories inside it (via macro, obviously).
3) Other macros to change/add/remove values and data.

Now, at 2) I start running into problems.
(Here I need to assume you know how in Pathfinder prepared spells, spontaneous spells, and spell-like abilities differ, or an explanation of that will be necessary.)
How can I set it so that I can store the number of each individual prepared spell *and* the number of each the token has cast (so that it can't exceed) without overbloating the JOBJ with child objects or create two different properties (one for the normally available, one for the consumed ones), which would also bloat a lot?
Same (though with different mechanics) for spontaneous spells and spell-like abilities.
I'd need to have two values for each key in the JOBJ, one for max and one for actual (which can't be done) or bloat it, as said.
Unless there's another approach I can't see, which is why I hoped to see how others did, if anyone actually did.
"There are many ways my Son, to find where the souls of Demons remain...
But it takes only one second of despair and of doubt until, at last, your Soul they will gain..."

metatheurgist
Dragon

Re: Daily use tracking macros

Post by metatheurgist »

Here's one of my 3rd Ed. tokens. The parts you might be in interested in are the spellbook and daily macro groups. This was the first time I attempted this so the code is probably really ugly. Strongly recommend you ignore the rest unless you enjoy headaches.
Attachments
Destrahan2.rptok
(57.21 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

Return to “Macros”