Special characters ?

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Ditto
Giant

Special characters ?

Post by Ditto »

Is there an easy way to display special characters in Maptools?

Currently, I'm just interested in displaying the 1/2 symbol: ½

I don't see any ASCII or CHR type of function though ? Is there anything in Maptools, given the ascii Code #, it can display the symbol ?

Irrlicht
Dragon

Re: Special characters ?

Post by Irrlicht »

Reference for all (or at least many) characters: http://www.ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm

Just write:
½
And it will appear.

Also useful to add certain characters that may mess up a macro's syntax, for example when you need a " inside a string that is already defined with opening and closing double quotes. You just use " and save yourself troubles.
"There are many ways my Son, to find where the souls of Demons remain...
But it takes only one second of despair and of doubt until, at last, your Soul they will gain..."

Ditto
Giant

Post by Ditto »

Irrlicht wrote:Reference for all (or at least many) characters: http://www.ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm

Just write:
½
And it will appear.

Also useful to add certain characters that may mess up a macro's syntax, for example when you need a " inside a string that is already defined with opening and closing double quotes. You just use " and save yourself troubles.
I was wondering if it was something like that .. :)
Thanks!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

It will also work by leaving off the ";". There are certain MT functions that use the ; and it could get confused in those cases, but for normal html output, that's not necessary.

Ditto
Giant

Post by Ditto »

aliasmask wrote:It will also work by leaving off the ";". There are certain MT functions that use the ; and it could get confused in those cases, but for normal html output, that's not necessary.
Interesting ...

&#189

works just fine from within a basic macro, however, when placed into a function (ala lib:utility), it shows a standard 'block".

I tried:

½

and that worked from within the function ... interesting :)

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Context may matter as well, ie what comes after it. You should always use the ; unless MT doesn't like it in a certain function or context, then you can try it without.

Return to “Macros”