UDF Performance question

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

xavram
Dragon

UDF Performance question

Post by xavram »

I have only recently started working with UDFs and I was wondering if someone who understands the inner workings of Maptool could explain why using them helps in performance. I realize that they're a little easier to call, can reduce the number of "code" blocks you might need, etc, etc, but is there something about how they are generated/implemented that speeds up their performance? And to what magnitude?

I'm going to use them either way, just curious as to how this is working, "under the hood" so to speak.

Thanks!

xavram
Dragon

Re: UDF Performance question

Post by xavram »

Nothing? No sage words from any of the experts? :)

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: UDF Performance question

Post by Full Bleed »

xavram wrote:I have only recently started working with UDFs and I was wondering if someone who understands the inner workings of Maptool could explain why using them helps in performance. I realize that they're a little easier to call, can reduce the number of "code" blocks you might need, etc, etc, but is there something about how they are generated/implemented that speeds up their performance? And to what magnitude?

I'm going to use them either way, just curious as to how this is working, "under the hood" so to speak.

Thanks!
In short, they aren't necessarily faster. But they may help you write code more efficiently, avoiding other traps that are slower.

Take a look at this article if you're interested in macro performance: http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Speed_Up_Your_Macros
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “Macros”