Can we access or edit the chat frame?

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Dimencia
Kobold

Can we access or edit the chat frame?

Post by Dimencia »

I've been wanting to create a new pair of chat frames such that in the primary frame, all In Character lines are shown, and the secondary frame does not have a chat box, but displays anything that was enclosed in () - with these lines being omitted from the primary frame

This seems doable, but I'm not really looking forward to recreating most of the nuances of the existing chat frame, like logging, chat colors, etc (and I'm not sure if it might cause a memory overflow to keep that much chat in it)

Is there any way to access the existing chat frame? It seems to behave exactly like frames we can create or display, so I guess even knowing its name would allow you to replace it, which would still be preferable to having my new frame be separate. Preferably there's somehow a well-documented onChatEntered thing that I can replace with one that filters the output, but not even I can be that optimistic

Return to “Macros”