[1.3b91] Yet another Java-strangeness

Confirmed bugs should get a single post here. Check the READ ME FIRST sticky thread for the format.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice, MapTool BugReport Manager

Forum rules
Posts that do not conform to the READ ME FIRST sticky thread are subject to deletion.
Jan van Leyden
Cave Troll

[1.3b91] Yet another Java-strangeness

Post by Jan van Leyden »

I'm trying to run b91 on my Windows 7 64 system with Java 1.8 update 25. MT starts well, the old macros (simpley ones only) seems to work well, but ...

I can select a token or drag a new one from the resource library to the map, but I can't move any token on the map or invoke its context menu.

From the token's entry in the Map Explorer tool window I can call up the context menu. Movement by selecting a token and using the cursor keys works as well.

The right mouse key works in other sections as well, e.g. to open up a macro or to drag the map.

To double-check, the same thing happens when using Java 7, it works with Java 6.

Did anyone else encounter this behaviour?

Jan van Leyden

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: [1.3b91] Yet another Java-strangeness

Post by aliasmask »

I don't think java 8 works well with others and they want you to remove anything before java 8. The affects MT in that b87 and before requires java 6. It's best to upgrade everything to the latest anyway and remove all but java 8. Or you can remove java 8 and things may go back to normal.

Jan van Leyden
Cave Troll

Post by Jan van Leyden »

wolph42 wrote:Are you using the BoT by any chance?
Now you've got me... BoT?

---Jan van Leyden

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

bag of tricks. had an earlier report of someone not able to move their tokens and it was a combination of the BoT and a bug in maptool. If not see the earlier post of AM (aliasmask)

Jan van Leyden
Cave Troll

Post by Jan van Leyden »

Ah, as you can see from me scratching my virtual head, no, I don't have any stuff installed or inserted. Just the plain default campaign with which I want to try some macro stuff.

The same thing happens with our shared camapign file, btw, which contains only simple macros.

I'll try to remove other Java versions and see whether this'll have any effect. Due to time constraints I'll have to shift this to tomorrow, though.

---Jan van Leyden

Jan van Leyden
Cave Troll

Post by Jan van Leyden »

Unlucky me! :(

Scratched all Java versions from the system and re-installed 1.8.25: still no luck; the same behaviour.

---Jan van Leyden

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I'm willing to get online with you to see the problem.

Connect via google hangouts: https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/gwvt ... rghsumx6ua

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Yes, that's definitely not normal behavior. I'm hoping that removing java 8 then redownloading and not using the previous downloaded file does the trick. I think there may be something up with re-using the downloaded file after cancelling the download where it doesn't reinstall correctly. Let me know if it works for you and I'll post a warning on the site. Since I also had issues at first when I did the above I'm hoping a clean install will do the trick.

Jan van Leyden
Cave Troll

Post by Jan van Leyden »

Still no luck! Even after completely removing all Java installations and related stuff, setting up the whole shebang anew, the problem remains.

Seems I'm back to move my token with the cursor keay tongiht!

@aliasmask: let me thank you for the remendous help you gave me in trying to fix this. Simply awesome!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Yeah, I had you log on to a blank campaign with one token I dropped and then gave you permissions to. Still same problem. Now I don't think this is it but try messing with Owner Permissions and Lock Movement in the init panel and preferences page.

Here's a post to a voodoo fix for a similar problem: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 80#p190017

gotenl5
Kobold

Post by gotenl5 »

i need help to fix this problem all my players are having after getting b91

java.net.connectexception: connection refused: connection

im able to start a server but everyone get this error, i turned off my firewalls and still nothing, i don't know how to fix this, i would like a step by step im not a computer geek :) please help

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

When starting the server, do you have the UPnP checkbox checked?

Jan van Leyden
Cave Troll

Post by Jan van Leyden »

aliasmask wrote:Yeah, I had you log on to a blank campaign with one token I dropped and then gave you permissions to. Still same problem. Now I don't think this is it but try messing with Owner Permissions and Lock Movement in the init panel and preferences page.

Here's a post to a voodoo fix for a similar problem: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 80#p190017
Nope, still the same problem. Well, it sort of works...

Huldvoll winkend

---Jan van Leyden

Jan van Leyden
Cave Troll

Post by Jan van Leyden »

Another update. I finally did a complete re-install of the computer last weekend. Now the OS is patched, and I've installed only Kaspersky Internet Security and the latest Java 8. Maptool still shows exactly the same behaviour.

Guess I'll be giving up here. :(

Huldvoll winkend

---Jan van Leyden

Return to “Bug Reports”