[1.3b91] Screenshot Missing Layers

Confirmed bugs should get a single post here. Check the READ ME FIRST sticky thread for the format.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice, MapTool BugReport Manager

Forum rules
Posts that do not conform to the READ ME FIRST sticky thread are subject to deletion.
Altrunchen
Giant

[1.3b91] Screenshot Missing Layers

Post by Altrunchen »

Original discussions:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19854
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24579

Computer Information:
Operating System: Windows 7
Java Version: 7

Summary:
When using the "export screenshot as" option in Maptool with certain settings, the resultant image only consists of the painted images on the background and object layers.

Launcher Settings Used:
Maximum Memory: 1024
Minimum Memory: 64
Stack Size: 2

Export Screenshot Settings Used:
Type: Entire Map
Layers: Current View AND As Selected
View: GM

Advanced:
Rendering Method: Image Writer

User-Specific Issue:
I am making a map that has various objects in the background layer so that a particular look can be achieved. However, when I attempt to export the map as a screenshot, with one array of settings, the only layers that appear are the painted object and background layers. Objects that were added to the map instead of painted onto it are ignored.

One solution I found while investigating the issue said to just export the background image and to then drop the objects back onto it. This solution will not work as it will defeat the purpose of having objects in the background in the first place.

I have read the other conversations on this forum and saw that the staff resolved to let this remain a problem since it would take a long time to fix. I understand that the current recommendation is to take multiple "current view" screenshots and to then put them together in photoshop for a finished piece. Because I would not want the full image to be very low-res, this would require me to go into 100% zoom. As this map is rather large, that would require a great many screenshots. The real problem is getting the interior parts of the map that do not have edges to help with alignment.

As such my questions are thus:

1.) Is there a faster way to merge all the images back together?
2.) Is there a patch for this that someone made that could potentially make this issue easier to address?
3.) Will this feature remain unfinished in future releases without even removing the unfinished options?
4.) Has anyone made a mod for maptools that could accomplish this?

Suggested Solution:
Why not just have an export screenshot option that takes the whole map image, breaks it down into various zones based on content, and then exports those zones as screenshots using the "current view" setting for each zone? That would make it much easier for the user to then get all the images they would then have to piece together.

Last edited by Altrunchen on Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: [1.3b91] Screenshot Missing Layers

Post by aliasmask »

Yeah, that feature never worked 100% from what I recall. It could also be memory related. If you have a 64bit system with 4gigs of ram, you may want to install the 64bit java and bump your memory to 2048 if that's an option. Also, clear the resident memory before doing the screen cap by double clicking the memory usage ticker on the bottom right. You could also write a macro that will move selected objects to the background layer and save the names, then undo the move after the screen cap. I don't think anything will be done to resolve this issue as it stands now.

Altrunchen
Giant

Post by Altrunchen »

aliasmask wrote:Yeah, that feature never worked 100% from what I recall. It could also be memory related. If you have a 64bit system with 4gigs of ram, you may want to install the 64bit java and bump your memory to 2048 if that's an option. Also, clear the resident memory before doing the screen cap by double clicking the memory usage ticker on the bottom right.
I will try this and get back to you on the results. Thank you.
aliasmask wrote:You could also write a macro that will move selected objects to the background layer and save the names, then undo the move after the screen cap.
The objects already are on the background layer though. Despite this, they do not show up on the screenshot.

aliasmask wrote:I don't think anything will be done to resolve this issue as it stands now.
So if this feature is just going to left unfinished, then what exactly is the main focus between builds that warrants the neglect of this issue?

Altrunchen
Giant

Post by Altrunchen »

Alright so messing with the memory settings according to you suggestions didn't work unfortunately.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

1.3 is done. There is work being done on 1.4 where they're pretty far along, but I don't know if this feature's problems has been addressed or whether it will still be an option. The same can be said for MOTE that should be coming out "soon". The MOTE team did a complete re-write and may have tackled this differently.

I think I've had my best successes with the export when exporting the player view. Just curious, where on the map are these objects? Do they fall in the x > 0 and y > 0 coords? I'm just spit balling that objects at negative coords may be left out.

I'll take a look at campaign if you send me a link to download it and see what I come up with.

Altrunchen
Giant

Post by Altrunchen »

aliasmask wrote:1.3 is done. There is work being done on 1.4 where they're pretty far along, but I don't know if this feature's problems has been addressed or whether it will still be an option. The same can be said for MOTE that should be coming out "soon". The MOTE team did a complete re-write and may have tackled this differently.

I think I've had my best successes with the export when exporting the player view. Just curious, where on the map are these objects? Do they fall in the x > 0 and y > 0 coords? I'm just spit balling that objects at negative coords may be left out.

I'll take a look at campaign if you send me a link to download it and see what I come up with.
What is MOTE? Is that an alternative to Maptool?

I will check the map myself to see if it is indeed a matter of coordinates.

Also, thank you, if you would care to take a look then here is the map I am trying to export so that my players don't have nearly as much stuff to load.
Anti-Magic Generator Factory.rpmap
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 72 times

Altrunchen
Giant

Post by Altrunchen »

aliasmask wrote:1.3 is done. There is work being done on 1.4 where they're pretty far along, but I don't know if this feature's problems has been addressed or whether it will still be an option. The same can be said for MOTE that should be coming out "soon". The MOTE team did a complete re-write and may have tackled this differently.

You're not going to believe this, but here's what happened:

1.) I put an object into the background layer, making sure it's coordinates were positive.
2.) I export the rest of the map.
3.) The map's object and background layers export together, drawn and dropped components alike.
4.) I try the same thing without said items.
5.) The map's drawn objects export together while the dropped objects vanish.

So this now works for me. Thank you so much! But that's strange though...

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

If you have drawn objects and dropped objects there may be a layering problem, ie the drawn are covering up the dropped.

Altrunchen
Giant

Post by Altrunchen »

aliasmask wrote:If you have drawn objects and dropped objects there may be a layering problem, ie the drawn are covering up the dropped.
Sometimes that is intentional though. I've noted several cases where I have purposefully drawn over parts of an object, in order to achieve a certain look.

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

Altrunchen wrote:

You're not going to believe this, but here's what happened:

1.) I put an object into the background layer, making sure it's coordinates were positive.
2.) I export the rest of the map.
3.) The map's object and background layers export together, drawn and dropped components alike.
4.) I try the same thing without said items.
5.) The map's drawn objects export together while the dropped objects vanish.

So this now works for me. Thank you so much! But that's strange though...
I have the same problem.
I made big maps in MapTool and want to export to a png and rework it a bit.

I did'nt understand what you did to make it work ?

(BTW, tried with 1.4, and I have the same partial result ...)
ImageImageImageImage

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

PS : tried with MOTE : same problem.
ImageImageImageImage

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

I tried modyfing my map and set everyting (stamps and painting) on the map layer, with positive screen coordinates (both x and y).

And it doesn't work : only the painted parts are exported (using entire map + GM view + selected layer "map" + image writer).

Does the Z coordinate has to be positive too ?
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Bug Reports”