1.4.0.0-1.4.0.3 Can't drop tokens onto map

Confirmed bugs should get a single post here. Check the READ ME FIRST sticky thread for the format.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice, MapTool BugReport Manager

Forum rules
Posts that do not conform to the READ ME FIRST sticky thread are subject to deletion.
gorum
Kobold

1.4.0.0-1.4.0.3 Can't drop tokens onto map

Post by gorum »

Issue: I get an error whenever I drop a token onto any map on any campaign. Here's the error message (also attached screenshot).

"Unable to obtain data from dropped object. Likely causes are an empty object due to a network error... or possibly an incompatible object was dropped..."

The problem began sometime after I started using 1.4.0.0 - but, specifically, after a Java update (not sure which one) on my Mac. I'm not 100% certain that is the issue but it seems likely.

All tokens I attempt to drop were made with TokenTool 1.0.b28. The issue persists whether I use tokens made a long time ago, by someone else or made recently.

If I already have a token in a map (created before problem surfaced) then I can copy/paste tokens without difficulty. Additionally, when I host a game, friends can drop tokens on and they show up fine on my map.

I'd love to get some advice quickly. My players have run through all my maps I made before the problem surfaced and now I'm stuck.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 6.17.30 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 6.17.30 PM.jpg (226.75 KiB) Viewed 1936 times

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: 1.4.0.0-1.4.0.3 Can't drop tokens onto map

Post by wolph42 »

if you want quick advice: remove all maptool and java and reinstall the lot.

more subtle requires answers:
- so does this happen as well when you drop a picture on the map or only when you drop .rptok files on the map?
- do your friends run the same java version and mt version as you (the latter should be the case as else it wont run but just asking anyway).

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I confirmed the message when trying to drop an image from Chrome/Google Search for images. I was able to save the image to a file then drop it from the Linux File explorer.

It did work from Firefox, however if I 'View Image' from right click.

So the workaround would be to save the image or use Firefox.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

gorum wrote:The problem began sometime after I started using 1.4.0.0 - but, specifically, after a Java update (not sure which one) on my Mac.
I can confirm that I know another Mac user running into this problem. He emailed me one of the images he had an issue with and I could deploy it just fine on a PC.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

gorum
Kobold

Post by gorum »

wolph42 wrote:so does this happen as well when you drop a picture on the map or only when you drop .rptok files on the map?
images. pngs. jpgs. etc.

someone else mentioned dropping from firefox, but i'm not dropping from a browser. i'm dropping from my mac's file system directly.

gorum
Kobold

Post by gorum »

wolph42 wrote:It sounds like java is bust. So back to my original solution: wipe and reinstall
I'll give that a try, but of particular note, this is happening on both my Macs - two different computers but with the same Java. So I do think it's a deeper problem with Java and compatibility...

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

gorum wrote:
wolph42 wrote:It sounds like java is bust. So back to my original solution: wipe and reinstall
I'll give that a try, but of particular note, this is happening on both my Macs - two different computers but with the same Java. So I do think it's a deeper problem with Java and compatibility...
fair point, its unusual to have this happen on two separate systems, so you might be right. Still, I would be clueless and still advice you to clean stuff up (reinstall). Note that the devs are working on 1.4.1 which will have a completely different install. So hopefully that helps.

camillo
Kobold

Post by camillo »

I have the exact same issue on OSX. On OSX there is nothing to "re-install" you just open the application that you download.
Anyone found a way to fix this?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

camillo wrote:I have the exact same issue on OSX. On OSX there is nothing to "re-install" you just open the application that you download.
Anyone found a way to fix this?
I talked to my Mac player about the problem and he responded that he could still deploy images "from the resource library"... which, frankly, is how I always deploy images in MT anyway.

So save the images you want to use in a common location and then make sure the location has been added to MT's resource library using File>Add Resource to Library. Then deploy the images from your Library in Map Tools.

Something certainly appears to have changed with a Java update for Macs though as more people are complaining about this now. I can, however, still deploy directly from Windows Explorer (though I never do).
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I found the issue and there's a fix applied to the GitHub repo.

There were a number of interrelated issues between having a code path that works on Linux as well as other platforms, plus Java for OS X (starting in 1.8u60, apparently) added additional "data flavors" for things dropped onto the map. The combination of these resulted in code meant to run on Linux being executed on OS X, but then the drag/drop object didn't have the same contents as what the Linux code expected. Sigh.

I have modified the code to be a little more generic and added support for the additional data flavor. It now works on my MBP running El Capitan and it should be backward compatible as well. I'm running the latest from GitHub (well, with a few changes for ongoing work).

Return to “Bug Reports”