Launcher Problem - Java Path Set Correctly

Confirmed bugs should get a single post here. Check the READ ME FIRST sticky thread for the format.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice, MapTool BugReport Manager

Forum rules
Posts that do not conform to the READ ME FIRST sticky thread are subject to deletion.
Rand
Kobold

Launcher Problem - Java Path Set Correctly

Post by Rand »

Hello, guys!

I recently "deinstalled" maptool and I also reinstalled java / updated to the current version.
Afterwards I tried to run Maptool by using the launcher. I changed the settings according to
my requirements, made sure I used the correct path to my java.exe and so on.

When I press start maptool the launcher window closes but maptool does not start.

I tried this both with Maptool 1.4.0.0 and 1.4.0.5.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, Java 8 (current update) and (since a work related program uses it) the prisma
java client is also installed.

I can of course start the maptool file itself but it does not seem to take the config ... I get heapsize errors
when I try to load my campaigns.

Any help? :)

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Launcher Problem - Java Path Set Correctly

Post by wolph42 »

im inclined to say: wait for the next release. It has a jwrapper install that solves these kind of issues. I would expect it soon(tm).
if you can''t wait: delete the entire .maptool dir (its in c:\users\yourname\ and the maptool install dir. Redownload mt and install again. Quite likely that fixes the issue. Else: wait this weekend for the next release with jwrapper install.

Rand
Kobold

Post by Rand »

Thx for your quick answer, wolph42!

I just reinstalled java and made maptool work with the 64bit version of java. Nevertheless just maptool starts, heapsize due to set MT.cfg working accordingly. But Somehow I get stack overflows when using BoT features like animated doors. Oddly enough the stacksize is set to 256, should it be even higher for such? :D

Also weird: now the launcher does not start AT ALL.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Rand wrote:But Somehow I get stack overflows when using BoT features like animated doors. Oddly enough the stacksize is set to 256, should it be even higher for such? :D
Massive overkill... surprised it even runs. Where on these forums did you get the idea to use that setting?

Try using a stack of 4.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

stack overflow is probly due to some error. error message itself can result in a stack overflow as its a LOT to output to the chat.
In other words, when you load the campaign you see a diagnosis of the campaign in the chat: read that and check for any issues.
Next to that run the diagnose macro from the campaign panel (light version) and see what that results.

o and indeed stack 256 is MASSIVE overload. BoT should run on 2, but 4 is safer, higher than 6 is asking for trouble.

Rand
Kobold

Post by Rand »

Full Bleed wrote: Massive overkill... surprised it even runs.

Try using a stack of 4.
Originally I was using a stacksize of 8, then 16 ... I still got the stack overflow error, so i just tried a huge number. It does not run with a stacksize of 4 either or let's say the same error occurs.

EDIT: i wont be around for a quite a bit, ill post the diagnose later though.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Rand wrote:EDIT: i wont be around for a quite a bit, ill post the diagnose later though.
Please send the Help>Gather Debug Information Report from with MT as well.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Roh
Cave Troll

Post by Roh »

Sorry to necro this thread but wolph42 mentions jwrapper coming in the next release does he mean 1.4.0.6 or some other increment? I'm not really sure what constitutes a "release" exactly. I'm really wanting to try and run a game with maptools but the biggest block for many people seems to be their inability to get the program started. Mostly because they are lazy as hell... *sigh*

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Roh wrote:Sorry to necro this thread but wolph42 mentions jwrapper coming in the next release does he mean 1.4.0.6 or some other increment? I'm not really sure what constitutes a "release" exactly. I'm really wanting to try and run a game with maptools but the biggest block for many people seems to be their inability to get the program started. Mostly because they are lazy as hell... *sigh*
He's talking about 1.4.2.x, which is currently in beta. You can get the beta builds at http://maptool.craigs-stuff.net/test-builds/, but it is not recommended that you try to run a live game with it. It will, however, let you test the jwrapper stuff to make sure it will work for you.

Roh
Cave Troll

Post by Roh »

Thanks!

Rand
Kobold

Post by Rand »

Before I post any further details I'd like to mention I completely deinstalled maptool along with its .maptool folder and I also deinstalled Java entirely. Then I reinstalled Java (currently Java 8 64bit, most recent version), decided to install maptool 1.4.0.0.

When I right click on the launcher file and select the menu 'open with' I get to choose between two Java versions, both have the same name however. Whatever ... so I just take the first and here we go: launcher works.

So I set all the options in the way I'd like them to work and TADA! it works as well ...

I have no clue how ... anyway I will still post the 'gather info' text
==== MapTool Information ====
MapTool Version: 1.4.0.0

MapTool Home...: ..\..\Users\Anwender42\.maptool
Max mem avail..: 3,641M
Max mem used...: 1,901M
Custom Property: -DMAPTOOL_DATADIR=..\..\Users\Anwender42\.maptool

==== Java Information ====
Java Vendor.: Oracle Corporation
Java Home...: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_92
Java Version: 1.8.0_92
Result of executing 'java -version':
............: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_92-b14)
............: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.92-b14, mixed mode)

==== OS Information ====
OS Name........: Windows 7
OS Version.....: 6.1
OS Architecture: amd64
PATH...........: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_92\bin;C:\windows\Sun\Java\bin;C:\windows\system32;C:\windows;C:\Program Files (x86)\VOLKSWOHL BUND\Angebotsprogramm Komfort;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\windows\system32;C:\windows;C:\windows\System32\Wbem;C:\windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\;C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\syswow64;;C:\Program Files (x86)\Lotus\Notes;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\client;C:\Programme\SQLAny10\win32;C:\Programme\SQLAny10\Sybase Central 5.0.0\win32;C:\VUS2001\APPL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\client;C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\;;.
Number of Procs: 4

==== User Information ====
User Name: Anwender42
User Home: C:\Users\Anwender42
User Dir.: C:\Program Files\maptool

==== Network Interfaces ====
Display Name..: Software Loopback Interface 1
Interface Name: lo
Address...: 127.0.0.1
Address...: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1

Display Name..: Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
Interface Name: eth3
Address...: 192.168.2.42

Display Name..: Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Interface Name: net6
Address...: 2001:0:3e9d:8c85:1452:12a5:3f57:fdd5
Address...: fe80:0:0:0:1452:12a5:3f57:fdd5%net6

Host Address...: 192.168.2.42
Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1

==== Locale Information ====
Country.: Germany
Language: English
Locale..: English (Germany)
Variant.:

==== Display Information ====
Number of Displays: 1
Display 1: 1920x1080(32)

==== Internet Gateway Devices ====
No IGDs Found!
and here is what the chat on campaign load (btw pathfinder framework) says:
Anwender42 says to the GMs: GM Status Updated. (The listed names are GMs.) ["Anwender42"]

Bag of Tricks - OnCampaignLoad checks

Current online GM's are: Anwender42  This campaign runs in Maptool version 1.4.0.0  This campaign if powered by version 40b of the Bag of Tricks (check for updates)  This Maptool version supports automatic vision blocking manipulation, this functionality will be enabled  All necessary Bag of Tricks states have been defined  All necessary Bag of Tricks tokens have been found  All necessary Bag of Tricks tables are installed  All lib:Tokens have no owners set (this is good!).
uuummmm :
Next to that run the diagnose macro from the campaign panel (light version)
I simply don't find dat ...

Interesting: I don't get stack overflow errors anymore which is great ... but when I use the PF framework integrated BoT animated door feature together with a switch this odd problem arises: players click on the activation switch and get a prompt to put in values for the door animation (time etc) rather than a menu of like 'open the door, peek through key hole' etc ... I know this has nothing to do with my original question and I'm also willing to post this in another thread.

Farland
Cave Troll

Post by Farland »

This thread saved me. I was getting stack overflow errors and crashes but couldn't get the launcher to work so I could set the memory and stack size. The issue was I had 32-bit java installed on my 64-bit machine. When I installed the 64-bit version, the launcher worked.

I blame java. Their website is pretty bad. :)

I know other users are having this problem.
An epic roleplaying resource:

http://www.farlandworld.com

Twitter: @Farland_World

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Farland wrote:This thread saved me. I was getting stack overflow errors and crashes but couldn't get the launcher to work so I could set the memory and stack size. The issue was I had 32-bit java installed on my 64-bit machine. When I installed the 64-bit version, the launcher worked.

I blame java. Their website is pretty bad. :)

I know other users are having this problem.
I wish Maptool looked at the OS and Java and *required* people on 64 bit OS's to install 64 bit java. Would save a lot of trouble.

With the jwrapper version of MT coming out though this sort of thing will probably be less of a problem.

Return to “Bug Reports”