RPTools.net

Discussion and Support

Skip to content

It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:39 pm 

Forum rules

Posts that do not conform to the READ ME FIRST sticky thread are subject to deletion.

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar  Offline
Cave Troll

Post subject: Fonts unreadably small on high res monitors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:17 pm 
I just bought a new laptop with a high res monitor-- 3200x1800. All font and windows on maptool are unusable because they are so small on my new laptop. I'm guessing this is a lack of support for windows 10, which is why I posted it as a bug (although I guess it is a lack of a feature). I have to DM Sunday. Help!

http://www.farlandworld.com

Twitter: @Farland_World

User avatar  Offline
Demigod

Post subject: Re: Fonts unreadably small on high res monitors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:27 pm 
Farland wrote:
I just bought a new laptop with a high res monitor-- 3200x1800. All font and windows on maptool are unusable because they are so small on my new laptop. I'm guessing this is a lack of support for windows 10, which is why I posted it as a bug (although I guess it is a lack of a feature). I have to DM Sunday. Help!

Try using window's scaling to make the text larger:

Control Panel>Appearance & Personalization>Display

User avatar  Offline
Cave Troll

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:26 pm 
Thanks. Yeah, I tried that and it didn't work at all. Apparently Maptool suffers from the exact same problem as older versions of photoshop, because I have CS 5 and the menus in it are unbearably small as well. It's the same issue that people are discussing here, and it's a real bummer: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1662093

User avatar  Offline
Deity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:03 am 
you should be able to change that using tinylaf (or something like that). I have no experience with it, but others do. Try searching the forum on it.

My stuff
Excel Tools: Table and Light editors
MT Tools: Bag of Tricks: Tools for Maptool, Dungeon Builder I, Dungeon Builder II,onMouseOverEvent and
DPI.
Frameworks: Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, Only War, SET Card Game, RoboRally
Wiki: Debugging Tutorial, Speed Up Your Macros, Working With Two CODE Levels, Shortcut Keys, Avoiding Stack Overflow, READ THIS

User avatar  Online
Deity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:10 am 
I think the tinylaf for b86 was the last one you could build default.theme with. Also, the max font size is 14 which isn't all that big compared to the current 11pt Tahoma.

User avatar  Offline
Demigod

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:37 am 
Attached is a Default Theme with a 22pt Tahoma font. It doesn't cover all text that MT uses, but it should help.

Also, please note that if you have font sizes set in your own macro code (like with character sheets) you'll have to make those adjustments yourself.

To install:

1) Go to your MT folder and rename Default.theme to Default.theme.orig
2) Unzip the DefaultX2.zip file attached to this post and place DefaultX2.theme into the MT Folder
3) Rename DefaultX2.theme to Default.theme
4) Launch MT as you usually do

DefaultX2.zip [1.29 KiB]
Downloaded 160 times

User avatar  Offline
Cave Troll

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:39 pm 
That definitely helped. I really appreciate it. It's not ideal, though. I wonder if Maptool could be made to play nice with windows 10 and high res monitors.

User avatar  Offline
Demigod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:24 pm 
Farland wrote:
That definitely helped. I really appreciate it. It's not ideal, though. I wonder if Maptool could be made to play nice with windows 10 and high res monitors.

I can take it up to 24 pt if that would help more... but I suspect it's the stuff that won't get bigger that's the real issue at this point. I went with 22pt because it was twice the default size.

Btw, have you tried out the Windows "Magnifier" in order to be able to see the really small stuff?

User avatar  Offline
Great Wyrm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:00 pm 
Unfortunately its an issue with Java/Swing components not supporting HDPI and Display Scaling. I'm hoping Java FX eventually supports it better but for Swing it would require recoding all the frame/component sizes.

You are better off just dealing with it as really small menus or change your resolution when running it.

Luckily you really don't go to the menu's that much during game play, mostly macros and tokens which you can control.

Custom TokenTool 2.0 Fork: tokentool.nerps.net
More information here: MapTool Nerps! Fork

User avatar  Offline
Great Wyrm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:17 pm 
That Default.theme definitely helps, thanks!

And this goes to emphasize the need to use "em" units for fonts instead of points!

Alas the button width parameter in MapTool does not support "vm" or other relative size value (it only accepts an integer which is pixels).

User avatar  Offline
Great Wyrm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:21 am 
JamzTheMan wrote:
Unfortunately its an issue with Java/Swing components not supporting HDPI and Display Scaling. I'm hoping Java FX eventually supports it better but for Swing it would require recoding all the frame/component sizes.

Does/didn't JavaFX get DPI scaling with 8u60? I haven't used it at all, are there known issues with the implementation?

Cave Troll

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:09 am 
I too have the same problem with maptool on my surfacebook. However I have managed to find a fix for the afore mentioned adobe problem:-

http://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app- ... plays-fix/

Although I'll be the first to admit I don't really understand how the fix works. I have tried applying the same manifest file to the maptool install folder (and renaming it accordingly, but it doesn't seem to make a difference, so thought I'd reply here and see if anyone more techy than me can comment (or even expand on to fix the problem :) )

Fingers crossed

Grant

User avatar  Offline
Deity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:13 am 
Raileth wrote:
I too have the same problem with maptool on my surfacebook. However I have managed to find a fix for the afore mentioned adobe problem:-

http://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app- ... plays-fix/

Although I'll be the first to admit I don't really understand how the fix works. I have tried applying the same manifest file to the maptool install folder (and renaming it accordingly, but it doesn't seem to make a difference, so thought I'd reply here and see if anyone more techy than me can comment (or even expand on to fix the problem :) )

Fingers crossed

Grant

I don't understand this either, what I *do* understand though is that this works for .exe files and MT is a .jar file. so it *might* work if you place this in the java install dir and apply it to java.exe and javaw.exe

My stuff
Excel Tools: Table and Light editors
MT Tools: Bag of Tricks: Tools for Maptool, Dungeon Builder I, Dungeon Builder II,onMouseOverEvent and
DPI.
Frameworks: Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, Only War, SET Card Game, RoboRally
Wiki: Debugging Tutorial, Speed Up Your Macros, Working With Two CODE Levels, Shortcut Keys, Avoiding Stack Overflow, READ THIS

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:46 pm 
Keep in mind that the latest MT builds are bundled with their own JRE, so the place to put that file would be inside the unpacked ZIP file for MT.

It is a kluge, clearly, and at some point Java will need better support for this. Work is ongoing.

This post at SuperUser.com describes a Windows-specific tool called "Resource Tuner" that appears to be able to create the manifest files discussed previously in this thread.

Fortunately for Mac users, it appears that HiDPI support was added to OpenJDK for OS X so Mac users won't have this particular problem, but generalizing the code to other platforms is not going to be easy.

Cave Troll

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:28 pm 
I have now managed to get it to work on my widnows surfacebook, running windows 10. After creating the registry entry - which i did for the adobe fix anyway. I then copied the manifest files (the ones from the adobe help page, and renaming them to java.exe.manifest and javaw.exe.manifest) and placing them in the extracted java folder related to Maptool, in my case the folder was as follows:--

C:\Users\grant\AppData\Roaming\JWrapper-MapTool\JWrapper-Windows64JRE-00044487682-complete\bin

When I run maptool it is all enlarged - of course now I had huge fonts due to the default file being changed but reverting to the original default file soon sorted that, Hooray Maptool is usable on my laptop again :D :)

thanks

Grant

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next