[1.3b51] Resizing a rotated object is really weird

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice, MapTool BugReport Manager

Hawke
Great Wyrm

[1.3b51] Resizing a rotated object is really weird

Post by Hawke »

I thought this was around before but fixed, though I could perhaps be wrong.

1) Drop a non-square image onto the map as object or background
2) Rotate the image
3) Try to resize the image - it doesn't work as you'd expect.

The same thing happens if you take a square image and resize it so it is no longer square, rotate it, and then try and resize again. Since a little mouse movement totally messes up the rotated image, it can be VERY difficult to get the object to appear as you want it to.

Jector
Great Wyrm

Re: [1.3b51] Resizing a rotated object is really weird

Post by Jector »

This has been an issue for a large number of builds, now.

Hold shift down when you resize and it will lock the aspect ratio of the object and should resize as normal. If you wanted the object to be stretched in some dimension or another, that may be an issue.

Trevor, can we have the default for resize be locked ratio and hold shift to stretch and resize the image? Seems like keeping object the same ratio would be much more common than stretching it.
I cast firecube! ~4E

IMarvinTPA
Dragon

Post by IMarvinTPA »

The problem is, it behaves as though the dimensions are not rotated, so it is wonky.

IMarv

Mrugnak
Dragon

Post by Mrugnak »

Jector wrote:This has been an issue for a large number of builds, now.

Hold shift down when you resize and it will lock the aspect ratio of the object and should resize as normal. If you wanted the object to be stretched in some dimension or another, that may be an issue.

Trevor, can we have the default for resize be locked ratio and hold shift to stretch and resize the image? Seems like keeping object the same ratio would be much more common than stretching it.
Keeping the same aspect ratio doesn't remove the problem. If the item is not square (many things in life and in Maptools are not square) you still have the same problem.

EDIT: I'm wondering if this is related to the various problems hex users are having with rotating tokens:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6911
and
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7408

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

Just checked it in 53 to make sure I wasn't nuts or got a square object by mistake.

If you're talking about resizing and stretching/squashing a rotated object, then it is still wonky as I mentioned.

If you want to resize a rotated object and keep it's aspect ratio, it works if you hold shift while resizing.

You can also stretch/squash the object into the shape you desire and then rotate it and it will keep the new aspect ratio. Hitting shift while rotating returns it to its default aspect ratio and you will have to start over.

Basically, if you want an object to have a different aspect ratio you should size and stretch it to the shape you want, then rotate. If you want it in its standard shape you can rotate and shift/resize as you see fit.
I cast firecube! ~4E

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

Yeah the issue is with the rotate. The Axises rotate too.

So if you drop a bed onto the map, by default the bed is left right orientated. You can stretch and size no problem. up down left right.

Turn the image 90 degrees and up down becomes left right and left right become up down.
--
Big Mac

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Please read the new Bug Report posting requirements in the READ ME FIRST sticky thread in this subforum.

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

I have this bug fixed, but I don't like how it works with the given contraints.

There were a couple things I chose to do (some are obvious):

1. Leave the token rotation angle/facing constant when resizing
2. Anchor the token at the top left, as you resize from the bottom right.
3. Don't shear the token.

This works great for angles around 0, 90 etc. The problem is, it is feels unatural when you get to a token rotated 45 deg +/-.

When you resize a rotated token, you are actually directly re-sizing the token's bounding box (the top left anchor point to the curser). From the new bounding box size, the token's new dimension is found.

The problem is no other drawing programs work like this and it feels wierd.

I think in most dragging left or right would have the appearance of shearing the image... and that's not something I wanted to introduced.

The other behaviour that might be more natural is to adjust the rotation angle as you pull left or right...

However, I think the most natural solution is to change where the drag/resize point is. Instead of always having it in the lower right corner of a token's bounding box, it could rotate with the token, similar as to what was mentioned in this not a bug report :)
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9042

Any thoughts? I could post some images if that would make it clearer.
Last edited by galneweinhaw on Thu May 21, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
galneweinhaw = galileo newton einstein hawking

Mrugnak
Dragon

Post by Mrugnak »

I think rotating the bounding box is an elegant solution, but may give people on square grids the horrors.

How does it look on a hex grid, with the 15/30 degree increments?

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

Oops, the related bug-report that's not a bug was supposed to be this one:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9042

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

Alright! it's working well with the selection box rotating around with the token.

Because of the way a token's position is set at its unrotated top left, re-sizing a rotated token has to turn off snap to grid (otherwise the token will fly all over the place while you are doing it) This can be added back in if necessary later... I'm not sure it is.

It's not perfect (yet!) but at least it's no longer completely broken =)

The biggest issue remaining is that the tokens still drift around a bit while resizing.

Also, I made no special effort to get objects working better, mostly because I don't like their different behaviour from background stamps, however they have been dragged along for the ride and work just as well (except they only resize from the center when there is no behaviour... which is no different than before)

Hopefully this will be in the next build.

Thoughts and comments welcome!

Mrugnak
Dragon

Post by Mrugnak »

galneweinhaw wrote:Because of the way a token's position is set at its unrotated top left, re-sizing a rotated token has to turn off snap to grid (otherwise the token will fly all over the place while you are doing it) This can be added back in if necessary later... I'm not sure it is.

Thoughts and comments welcome!
I'm not 100% clear on how this works. The way I'm reading this seems like

"When you resize a rotated token, snap to grid is automatically turned off, and stays off after you finish resizing."

is this the case?

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

Mrugnak wrote:I'm not 100% clear on how this works. The way I'm reading this seems like

"When you resize a rotated token, snap to grid is automatically turned off, and stays off after you finish resizing."

is this the case?
Yes.

Otherwise, everytime you move the mouse to grow or shrink the token, it might jump to the next closest "snap" point. Not very helpful ;)

Unrotated tokens don't have this problem because their resize-anchor is at the snap point (both the top left of the token) so it's not possible for the snap-point to move.

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

Oh, but remember that this is only for object and background stamps (being referred to above as tokens) since token-layer tokens don't have a freesize option.

edit: And this is unrelated to the hex rotation issues =)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

galneweinhaw wrote:Oh, but remember that this is only for object and background stamps (being referred to above as tokens) since token-layer tokens don't have a freesize option.
Actually, they do.

Return to “Resolved”