[1.3b53] [ ] & { } in html omments still prompts for values

Confirmed bugs should get a single post here. Check the READ ME FIRST sticky thread for the format.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice, MapTool BugReport Manager

Forum rules
Posts that do not conform to the READ ME FIRST sticky thread are subject to deletion.
Brigand
Read-only User

[1.3b53] [ ] & { } in html omments still prompts for values

Post by Brigand »

See topic, nuff said.

<!-- 1[w] --!>

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: [1.3b53] [ ] & { } in html omments still prompts for values

Post by jfrazierjr »

Unfortunately, it's not a bug. The maptoollineparser has no context to know it's inside something else. In theory, it would be possible to regex and strip out all the comments before passing on to the parser, but that would introduce yet another regex into the mix that could affect performance(though honestly, I doubt this one would cause a problem if Craig or someone else wanted to try to "fix it").
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

jfrazierjr wrote:Unfortunately, it's not a bug. The maptoollineparser has no context to know it's inside something else. In theory, it would be possible to regex and strip out all the comments before passing on to the parser, but that would introduce yet another regex into the mix that could affect performance(though honestly, I doubt this one would cause a problem if Craig or someone else wanted to try to "fix it").
Its not a big regexp and wouldn't take long, but its also functionality people are using. Some people print out stuff in comments instead of using [h: ] because they can check it in the log file if they need to. So I am not sure if it should be removed or not.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Leave it in. It's annoying because I can't use brackets or braces inside the comments, but that's a minor issue compared to the functionality of being able to include debugging output in the HTML that doesn't appear in the message window. (Although I think it tends to cause the message history to fill up more quickly, requiring more memory by the Swing components.)

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Someone had talked(around b42 or so) about putting in actual comment syntax into the parser like in java (ie //), and it was supposed to go in, but then I heard it did not work. I have no idea as the lineparser is a big bunch of voodoo to me....
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “Bug Reports”