Maptool Screencasts (Demos and Tutorials)

Articles on how to do things in MapTool (answers only here -- questions should stay in the main MT forum)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
Please discuss all HOWTO topics in the main forum. They will be moved here by a moderator when appropriate.
Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Aria wrote:I wasn't wanting to change the scale of textures. Just wanted it to work like shown in the that demo. When he was drawing the box, it showed the texture as really big and then it shrunk down and tiled into the box he drew.
Actually you're mis-interpreting what you saw. When he drew out the box to be filled it was a bug in the program that caused it to display the texture without taking into account the current zoom level. There was no tiling going on. The textures he was using were the right scale for the grid size he was using.
Aria wrote:I figured out that changing the grid size to 200 px works for all the textures I've been using.
Bad idea. Way more memory used and all of your other map objects will need to be large or they will look terrible.

Just batch convert all of your background textures to a lower, more appropriate resolution like 100 px/grid or less.

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

I dunno. Seems most of the map tokens and default textures that come with MapTool are either 200x200 or larger. DryGrass.jpg is 320px by 240px at 72dpi. Arid has the same dimensions, but is 300 dpi.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Well I actually do know.

The textures aren't meant to tile to a single grid cell and the DPI settings are irrelevant.

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

No need to get snippy or be a "know-it-all". :roll:

Given the fact that default textures are bigger than the default grid size of 40px, I'd say they are in fact meant to be used. Otherwise, why weren't they resized when they were packed with the software?

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Okay, I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding here on both sides. Even though the textures are over 200px to a side, they are not supposed to be used with a 200px grid. Generally, they look good with a 40 or 50 px grid. Therefore the textures only repeat every 4 or 5 grid cells.

Therefore objects should be presized for a 40 or 50 px grid size, but textures can be larger as they are expected to cover many grid cells. I find that the maptool textures look good on a 40-50px grid, even though they are much larger to a side.

If you use objects that look good on a 200px grid then they will use huge amounts of memory. Many of the images you will download will be sized for a 200px grid as (I believe) this is what Dunjinni uses. If you drop them straight into maptool at this resolution it will quickly overwhelm the memory usage. If you size them down for a 40-50px grid size then the memory overhead should remain well within reasonable limits, even with lots of tokens and textures.

I hope that clears up any misunderstandings.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

You left out why tokens are made larger than the nominal grid sizes.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

That's because I'm not omniscient.

At a guess I would assume it is because players like their tokens to be pretty and so maptool allows tokens to have a resolution for tokens that is independent of the x pixels/grid that exists for textures.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Aria wrote:No need to get snippy or be a "know-it-all". :roll:
Agreed. As I tell my kids "Let's use nice words" :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

torstan wrote:That's because I'm not omniscient.

At a guess I would assume it is because players like their tokens to be pretty and so maptool allows tokens to have a resolution for tokens that is independent of the x pixels/grid that exists for textures.
Well there ya go. You are omniscient. :P

Return to “How To”