.Bat and Vista x64

Articles on how to do things in MapTool (answers only here -- questions should stay in the main MT forum)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
Please discuss all HOWTO topics in the main forum. They will be moved here by a moderator when appropriate.
Cweord
Great Wyrm

.Bat and Vista x64

Post by Cweord »

Ok, for fun I thought I would try Vista x64 (though in my favor, I did make it a dual boot machine with XP)

Though not as bad as strapping your own legs to a chair and drilling holes in them it comes close at times in the list of things not to do 'for fun' (not that I have tried the former, but I did enjoy watching a surgeon do something similar to my shoulder on sat- though that was under a local anesthetic, but i digress).

The batch files don't work in Vista, I could spent the next several hours trying to figure out why, but I thought I would ask here first, and if no one knows, then I will go and work it out for my self and let you know.
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

what is the behavior you are experiencing ?
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

'javaw' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

But if I open MT direct with out a batch file it runs, so Java is ok . . . .
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

try changing the javaw to java
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

Same thing
Cweord

-------
My Tokens Directory

Mortani
Giant

Post by Mortani »

Path issue? Try finding where javaw is and put in the full command line such as c:\program files\java\bin\javaw.exe for example?

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

I suspect it might be a permissions thing. Vista's "enhanced security" is one of the biggest blunders MS has made since Windows ME.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

OK, I know what is going on. I tested it and like Cweord has stated, it doesn't work. I too am running Vista X64.

The cause:
The Windows path isn't pointing to the Java folder. If you were to go to a command prompt and type in: Java -version Windows would come back not knowing what in the heck you just typed in.

The fix:
Go into the Windows System Variables and add the Java path to the path line.

1. Click on the start button
2. Right click on Computer and select Properties.
3. Click on Advanced System Settings (and continue through all the Wndows warnings)
4. Click on the Environment Variables button.
5. Go into the System Variables section and edit the Path line.
6. Add the path to the path statement. (!do not erase what is in there!)

In my case I appended the following but your version could be different depending on the java version installed:
;c:\program files <x86>\java\jre1.6.0_03\bin;

Notable Mention:
I did notice there is no longer a Java icon in Control Panel. The only way I could figure out how to get into the Java Control Panel was to run an app that forced the java icon to appear in the systray, right click on it and go into the Java Control Panel. I did notice that the environment variables are all set correctly in there so I am unsure why we need to manually add these variables into the windows systems variables. *shrug*

Hey Trevor, do you think any other variables are needed?
Last edited by dorpond on Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Interesting - I am not having this issue on Vista 32 Ultimate.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Yup. That is definitely Vista security. As crazy as it sounds Vista is trying to protect you from Java, because Java runs in its own environment and therefore Vista doesn't know what is going on with it. :roll:

ImageImage

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Hawke wrote:Interesting - I am not having this issue on Vista 32 Ultimate.
Doesn't Ultimate recognize the default user as the System Administrator?

ImageImage

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

It's not the security settings I have already turned all that off, and I put in the path, and nothing changed (though the path is now in) there are also 2 other java paths in the environmental variables.

I tried it wish both Java and Javaw, still nothing . . .

it's not killing me because I can go back to XP and I don't use this machine for gaming, but it's strange
Cweord

-------
My Tokens Directory

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Well let's try to figure it out so that we can help others who come along :)

First things first - what version of Maptool? I fixed my issue above but I was running 1.2. I haven't tried 1.3 yet but will tomorrow AM.

Also, go to a command prompt - type in Java -version
What do you get?

You unzipped the maptool zip file to a folder, right? Silly question but some people have actually gone into the zip file and tried to run the batch files without extracting the files first.

Let's start there first.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

CJack42
Kobold

Post by CJack42 »

This is caused by your OS being 64bit instead of 32. I had the same issue with XP x64, as well as a player in my group who was running the same. This is because java is installed in the (x86) version of program files instead of the normal path. However, it seems the java installer is not smart enough to add the right path to the OS, using the normal program files directory. This is all assumption on my part, but seems to make sense.

To fix it, either do what was suggested by adding the path command stuff to your system or just search for and copy (not drag) the javaw.exe file into the maptools program directory (what I did). The .bat file should run as normal.

*Note if you update java you will have to copy the "new" javaw.exe file into the program directory as the install will not automatically update it.

Also, to find the java group in control panel in 64bit windows you have to open the "View x86 Control Panel Icons" folder inside of Control Panel. This is under the "See Also" tab if you are running category view, or in the normal icon window if running in classic.

Hope this helps!

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

CJack42 wrote:Copy (not drag) the javaw.exe file into the maptools program directory (what I did). The .bat file should run as normal.
That worked, I'm annoyed I didn't think of it my self . . . .

For other reference, I have tried the last few builds, and prior to the change non worked, it worked fine after copying javaw to the install folder.

Current build is 3.19
Maptools is unzipped to a folder.

Who knows what is happening with the paths, there are 3 different paths that reference Java in environmental variables, but I reckon until it's fixed, the quickest way to solve the problem is to copy Javaw over each time Java is updated.
Cweord

-------
My Tokens Directory

Return to “How To”