Resizing Maps for MapTool

Articles on how to do things in MapTool (answers only here -- questions should stay in the main MT forum)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
Please discuss all HOWTO topics in the main forum. They will be moved here by a moderator when appropriate.
torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Could the default zoom level be keyed to the Home key?

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

torstan wrote:Could the default zoom level be keyed to the Home key?
Quite possibly, let me take a look
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Heroman
Cave Troll

Post by Heroman »

Out of curiosity, would there be a way to have MapTool do the resize? I was thinking that you could load the map, then draw a ruler line, indicating the number of hexes/squares it represents. Maybe maptool could resize based on that value (not sure if it could also re-save). This would make using 3rd party software unneccessary and more freehand use of any map out there without additional external steps to scale....

trevor

Post by trevor »

Heroman wrote:Out of curiosity, would there be a way to have MapTool do the resize? I was thinking that you could load the map, then draw a ruler line, indicating the number of hexes/squares it represents. Maybe maptool could resize based on that value (not sure if it could also re-save). This would make using 3rd party software unneccessary and more freehand use of any map out there without additional external steps to scale....
Yup, this is just a workaround until it's natively supported :)

crispyx10
Kobold

random thought

Post by crispyx10 »

You could always add a system where the user places dots on the lines of a predrawn map and selects the grid size they want. The program then moves and reshapes the image so that the dots line up with the grid size.

trevor

Re: random thought

Post by trevor »

crispyx10 wrote:You could always add a system where the user places dots on the lines of a predrawn map and selects the grid size they want. The program then moves and reshapes the image so that the dots line up with the grid size.
Welcome Crispyx10 !

Actually this is what we plan, except using a grid instead of dots

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

trevor wrote:Actually this is what we plan, except using a grid instead of dots
I'm not sure I understand entirely...

fdwojo
Cave Troll

Post by fdwojo »

Hawke wrote:
trevor wrote:Actually this is what we plan, except using a grid instead of dots
I'm not sure I understand entirely...
Yeah, Trevor ... I'm kinda lost on what you mean here, too. The idea of the dots is you are telling MapTool what to use as reference points. If the idea is to end up with a grid, how will an overlaid grid be any kind of reference?

Is the grid going to be 'stretch-able'? If so, will you be stretching entire rows or columns or will you be able to stretch individual grid squares?

Dracorat
Dragon

Post by Dracorat »

I think he means - Pick upper left corner - Pick Lower Right - Enter num squares both Horizontal and Vertical.

Done.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Dracorat wrote:I think he means - Pick upper left corner - Pick Lower Right - Enter num squares both Horizontal and Vertical.

Done.
Right, but instead of picking the points and indicating the number of cells, by default it'll have a grid of, say 10-15 or so, line it up with your grid by setting the top left and bottom right.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

I'm working on resizing a map right now and I can't stop right clicking to scroll while moving in... maybe I should email adobe to have them make it work more like maptool?

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hawke wrote:maybe I should email adobe to have them make it work more like maptool?
lol that cracked me up !

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

trevor wrote:
Azhrei wrote:Actually, it might be nice if hitting "+" a second time put you back to the zoom level you were at previously! That should be easy to do and easy to use! ;)
Hmmm, interesting idea. I'll put in a tracker for it
Of course for those of us without a number pad (laptop) it isn't so convenient. ;)

It might be worthwhile, to not exclude us laptop users on the shortcut keys. I am a huge fan of shortcut keys so the more the merrier!

trevor

Post by trevor »

RPMiller wrote: It might be worthwhile, to not exclude us laptop users on the shortcut keys. I am a huge fan of shortcut keys so the more the merrier!
Point taken :) Feel free to propose alternates that you would work for you.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

That Home key mentioned above seemed like a good idea to me. ;)

Return to “How To”