Request for new Tool within Map Tool

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Shadowfireomega
Giant

Request for new Tool within Map Tool

Post by Shadowfireomega »

This is a pseudo line of sight/vision blocking layer tool, but it could again be another thing all together. Would it be unduly difficult to make an elevation tool? Something that would work with or under vision blocking where it impairs vision when looking one way (lets say up a mountain) but amplifies vision looking the other (down the mountain). One way vision lines would be awesome as well, for stuff like illusion spells (make a wall where there isn't and draw a line so the players can't see past it, unless they are on the other side) or one way windows/mirrors. It would be cool if it was something you could adjust yourself in campaign properties as well, like vision types, light sources, and bars.
"I love being wrong, for if I was always right, there would be nothing left to learn, and that would be a world I would not want to live in."
-Benjamin Fisher
"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
-Miles Kington
"Space is his favorite thing in the world!"
-Kayla Kros
"Anything times 1 is 1"
-Kayla Kros

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Request for new Tool within Map Tool

Post by aliasmask »

This is beyond the current scope of MapTool and as far as I know there are no plans to include elevation/vision blocking rules.

Shadowfireomega
Giant

Post by Shadowfireomega »

Ok, thanks for the response!
"I love being wrong, for if I was always right, there would be nothing left to learn, and that would be a world I would not want to live in."
-Benjamin Fisher
"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
-Miles Kington
"Space is his favorite thing in the world!"
-Kayla Kros
"Anything times 1 is 1"
-Kayla Kros

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Ya, most of that would be pretty tricky to implement, not to mention represent in a flat 2d map.

Although the elevation could in theory be done via macro's. It sounds like it would be a lot like Wolf's bag of tricks "Fog" where your vision is reduced as you enter the defined area.

Wouldn't be to hard to increase vision for a token when the "elevation" (a token property) is increased. The tricking part would restricting token views for ground based tokens. <insert math, ghost tokens, etc hear> That would be left to the uber macro encoders though for feasibility studies. :)

Regarding 1 way VBL, again, tricky to represent via current GUI (how would you represent it and draw it?). There have been thoughts on vision enhancements to penetrate VBL to certain depths (represent x-ray vision for instance). That in theory could be done but requires some overhaul. I would envision multiple layers of VBL to start, eg draw wood vbl, lead vbl, dirt, stone, etc. Certain vision types could be set to ignore certain layers. Also have thoughts on adding a layer above VBL, eg, place objects on this layer and they always show up regardless of VBL. Would be useful to show roofs, doors, etc.
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Yeah it could be done with macros IF there was an event handler for token facing, but there isn't. You could still not get that effect exactly, but pretty close.

On the other hand with mountains, you could automatically draw a vbl circle around a token where the token is NOT in the centre and move that along with the token as a vbl stamp. That would more or less create the effect you want....hmm first time I think of this.

So yes the effect can sort of be created currently

edit, issue would obviously be that with multiple players that they can't see eachother nor beyond them if the circles are too small.

Return to “Feature Requests”