FREQ: onMapLoad() Event

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

RPTroll
TheBard

FREQ: onMapLoad() Event

Post by RPTroll »

Is there any interest in an onMapLoad event to perform cleanup functions on a map when it is first loaded.

You might want to restrict this to when the GM loads a map but you could do that through the macro coding.

Just a thought.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: FREQ: onMapLoad() Event

Post by Full Bleed »

I could see finding uses for this.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

You could enforce a player to a map so they can't change to another.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

In that case the function would need to have access to the current map and the loading map so you can setMap() for the player.

I think you can do that now with Enforce Players to Current Map. I don't know if it's a continuous thing but that might be better handled via a menu option.

I was thinking more for list/token cleanup purposes.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

On the subject of maps, I really wish you could set a start up map in the settings, perhaps preferences. It could be based on last map loaded or some setting in the campaign like a specific map. Right now, it's just pot luck as to which map loads. I've loaded a campaign, was given a certain map , closed, reloaded and was given a different map. That goes for starting a server as well. The frameworks usually try to set players to a default map with onCampaignLoad which can cause issues in itself.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

agreed, map handling should be better structured.

-onMapLoad should NOT be used to force players to current map, that should be a seperate function
-basically OCL should also not be required to load all clients to a certain map (but that function is already requested)
-what does need to be taken into account is that lib token can be changed OCL and that currently leads to duplicate lib tokens over the campaign file. Also something that needs to be addressed.
-as for the onmapload, i dont understand the cleanup. what do you mean with that? (i can think of some things, but i would never use that so perhaps i misunderstand). onmapload could be used to get stuff to the chat, a pop up with a message, retrieving all player tokens over the campaign and putting them on that map, forcing all other clients to the same map, setting initial viewpoint, etc. All not superfancy and direly needed functions, but not unuseful applications.

Return to “Feature Requests”