Feature Request: Image Overlay FoW

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

onetrueping
Kobold

Feature Request: Image Overlay FoW

Post by onetrueping »

I requested this feature back in 2006, and my request had at least some impact (leading to textured Fog of War). I'm resubmitting this request due to the rebuilding of the engine for 1.4.

Essentially, I would like to be able to choose a single image for the Fog of War. For example, have the FoW be a scrawled map of the area, and when the party moves through the area, the scrawled areas become visible. This would be fantastic for changing hand-drawn maps into more vivid ones, scrawled treasure maps on desert islands, or old, stained blueprints for a partially collapsed catacomb, showing the old passages and location of the relic, but none of the damage that time has wrought.

At the time, memory constraints were a concern. With the increase in computer memory and connection bandwidth, I feel that this would be a good time to bring the feature back to your attention.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Feature Request: Image Overlay FoW

Post by aliasmask »

If I'm understanding you correctly, you can do that now by selecting the image as the FOW texture.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Wow, I did not know you could do that!

Is that a per map thing? I was asking because I would really like to do this for next campaign.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Jagged wrote:Wow, I did not know you could do that!

Is that a per map thing? I was asking because I would really like to do this for next campaign.
yup. bit tricky though to get the fog and map aligned.

onetrueping
Kobold

Post by onetrueping »

wolph42 wrote:bit tricky though to get the fog and map aligned.
Which should probably be worked on. Being able to set an anchor point for the FOW would go miles towards improving things, and would allow the fog and the map to be moved around as one entity, or even saved for later play. The feature could use a lot of love, in other words.

Return to “Feature Requests”