Scaling

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Cederien
Kobold

Scaling

Post by Cederien »

I don't know if any of the Maptool developers has a 4k Monitor but I would guess no. The problem is, Maptool does not currently adhere to any system wide scaling (at least not on Win7, Win10 or Linux systems) nor does it offer any scaling options internally (aside from chat font size). So on a 4k Monitor the menus, texts and icons are painfully small. To add insult to injury we can actually set the font size for the chat (which at least our group does not use), but not for anything else.
So given 4k Monitors are getting more common while in most western countries the average age of the populations increases (which usually is connected to a decrease in eyesight ^^), can you please make some changes there? (And yes I'm aware that's a common problem across many Java programs.)

Thanks,

Ced.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: Scaling

Post by JamzTheMan »

I don't have a 4k monitor but I do have a Surface Pro 3 which is HDPI and trust me, those menus are way smaller than my finger lol.

And correct, Java, specifically Swing/AWT does not support display scaling. I don't even think JavaFX does? I haven't looked in a while, maybe it'll be in Java 9?

The best you can do is create a new .theme but that only helps so much. MT wasn't created with skinning in mind. At this point, we're better off redoing the UI in JavaFX or some such which gives us a lot of other options as well. But we don't have a strong GUI person taking up that mantle at this time. We are making strides to get us completely on Java 8 with less installation/setup issues that Java brings with it, which is a step towards JavaFX. (It's a real pain to try and support Java 6,7 & 8, or even 7 & 8).

TL;DR; It'll be a while, I feel your pain...
-Jamz

Return to “Feature Requests”