alter size of tokens w/o changing the size of bounding box

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Farland
Cave Troll

alter size of tokens w/o changing the size of bounding box

Post by Farland »

What I mean by this is I'd like the ability to have a fighter with a spear take up a 5' square and have just his spear stick out of the 5' square. As of now for him to be a 5' medium sized figure that fits in one square, he has to be very tiny. Know what I mean?
Last edited by Farland on Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An epic roleplaying resource:

http://www.farlandworld.com

Twitter: @Farland_World

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: alter size of figures without changing the size of the t

Post by wolph42 »

Farland wrote:What I mean by this is I'd like the ability to have a fighter with a spear take up a 5' square and have just his spear stick out of the 5' square. As of now for him to be a 5' medium sized figure that fits in one square, he has to be very tiny. Know what I mean?
so, set it to freesize (or native size). If the size is not correct, move it to the background layer where you can change it size and then move it back. Alternatively you can use the editor which you get when you double click on the token.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Farland wrote:What I mean by this is I'd like the ability to have a fighter with a spear take up a 5' square and have just his spear stick out of the 5' square. As of now for him to be a 5' medium sized figure that fits in one square, he has to be very tiny. Know what I mean?
If you double click on the token and go to the configure tab, you can reposition and resize the image of the token. So if you have a suitable image with a long spear, you can easily have the spear extend beyond the boundary of the square.

Farland
Cave Troll

Post by Farland »

I realize that, and maybe it's just me, but the figure then no longer takes up a five foot square. The "selection line" or whatever you have of the token also expands, making the figure seem large sized and making it harder to select other figures adjacent to it. Battlegrounds, a different virtual map tool, did a good job with this by creating separate individual bases for figures that do not resize with the figure. Do you know what I mean?

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

So what you really want is for the token bounding square to remain the same size regardless of how the image is altered? I can completely understand why that would be desirable.

Farland
Cave Troll

Post by Farland »

Jagged wrote:So what you really want is for the token bounding square to remain the same size regardless of how the image is altered? I can completely understand why that would be desirable.
Yes, that is exactly right. I want the token bounding square to be set by the selection of the size of the figure (i.e tiny, small, medium, large etc) and to be independent of any resizing of the figure image itself.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Farland wrote:
Jagged wrote:So what you really want is for the token bounding square to remain the same size regardless of how the image is altered? I can completely understand why that would be desirable.
Yes, that is exactly right. I want the token bounding square to be set by the selection of the size of the figure (i.e tiny, small, medium, large etc) and to be independent of any resizing of the figure image itself.
in case it was not clear: currently not possible.

That is not to say that it would be a very useful feature!! And 1.4 is in the make so who knows!

Farland
Cave Troll

Post by Farland »

I would dearly love to see this feature implemented.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

I've always wanted to have the tokens only selected with visible pixels (i.e. ignore transparent pixels)... but I'd take the above change, or at least a bounding box that's never bigger than the square the token occupies, if we could get it. :)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Farland
Cave Troll

Post by Farland »

Anyone working on current versions of MT have any update on this feature request? :D

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Not as yet. However, I"m wondering if this is the desired behavior when you select a token size, vs. having it freesize. Basically, if a token is set to medium, the bounding box always takes up one square.

Thoughts?
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Still very interested in this feature as well.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Farland
Cave Troll

Post by Farland »

Hi RPTroll! I should change the title of this thread. My requested feature is that the token size set the size of the bounding border and then one be able to free size the token such that the art of the token can overlap the bounding border. the token art outside the bounding border should not be selectable. So for example if I have a figure that is a fighter with a long spear I want to be able to set the token size to medium but have the spear extend another 1 to 2 squares past the bounding border. The way MT is now, if I made the fighter's spear the correct size, the bounding border would be 3 squares on a side or so.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Farland wrote:Hi RPTroll! I should change the title of this thread. My requested feature is that the token size set the size of the bounding border and then one be able to free size the token such that the art of the token can overlap the bounding border. the token art outside the bounding border should not be selectable. So for example if I have a figure that is a fighter with a long spear I want to be able to set the token size to medium but have the spear extend another 1 to 2 squares past the bounding border. The way MT is now, if I made the fighter's spear the correct size, the bounding border would be 3 squares on a side or so.
I agree. It would be nice to only be able to select the footprint rather than the image. That way adjacent images wouldn't interfere with each other when trying to select them.

Farland
Cave Troll

Post by Farland »

Right! Honestly this is my number one issue with MapTool as a VT. Other than that, I love everything about it.

Return to “Feature Requests”