Clickable Drawings for nested/child map links

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

chap126
Kobold

Clickable Drawings for nested/child map links

Post by chap126 »

In addition to the ability to select and move drawings, which I read is already on the wishlist, what I would like is the ability to:
right click a drawing --> add link to another map. Then a popup list of maps already existing in the campaign would appear you could select one and click "Create Link" or the other option would be "New Map", which would create a new map and a clink to that. I'm envisioning using this on transparent drawings.

I think this would be useful for campaign management and world building. You could create a world map. Create an invisible drawing over Region 1, and clicking that would bring you to the child map Region 1. You could go further. Perhaps region one has a cave and a town. You could add clickable links on the cave and town which would bring you to a cave map and a town map respectively.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Clickable Drawings for nested/child map links

Post by aliasmask »

chap126 wrote:right click a drawing --> add link to another map. Then a popup list of maps already existing in the campaign would appear you could select one and click "Create Link" or the other option would be "New Map", which would create a new map and a clink to that. I'm envisioning using this on transparent drawings.
I don't really see this happening. The option menu (right click) is for things related to the object, in this case a drawing. Switching maps and creating maps is not related. Treating drawings as a token to allow additional functionality could be done and perhaps lead to a path for what you want to do.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

What you wish to achieve is possible, how you want to achieve it not. Its possible to put a token (drawing) on the token layer and associate a macro with it. The macro in this case would be to switch to the child map that the token depicts. The BoT contains this functionality (although some macro coding might be required, IRC there is an example macro that does this)

chap126
Kobold

Post by chap126 »

Is there a macro script for [openMap "name"] or something of the sort? Putting that on a token would pretty much accomplish what I'm after.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I have this page bookmarked (http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Category:Macro_Function) which lists all the functions. At the top are some or the more common groupings of function including map functions.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

aliasmask wrote:I have this page bookmarked (http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Category:Macro_Function) which lists all the functions. At the top are some or the more common groupings of function including map functions.
Also of note... some token/map interaction functions not listed in the Map section:

Wiki: moveTokenFromMap()
Wiki: moveTokenToMap()
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

When I first started playing I had a goto macro that would list placed of interests. Now I use the call tokens for most of my map switching. (in pf/3.5 fw) Basically, you click a token at the target location and click call tokens macro. It will post a link in chat that player can select their token and click link to go to new map location.

chap126
Kobold

Post by chap126 »

Thanks guys! I think I might be able to get something close to what I want, how do you set a macro to trigger on token select? If I can figure out the code to trigger a macro whenever that particular token selected, and then setmap to a particular map I think I'll be golden ☺

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

chap126 wrote:Thanks guys! I think I might be able to get something close to what I want, how do you set a macro to trigger on token select? If I can figure out the code to trigger a macro whenever that particular token selected, and then setmap to a particular map I think I'll be golden ☺
In general, you can't have it happen on token select alone(except in specific situations). The act of selecting a token ALONE does not run any macros and honestly that would be a giant PITA and resource intensive way to do this type of thing. You have to have some way to tell MT that for this time I select a token, I want to do X and that is by creating said macro.

A mostly easy solution(but still moderately annoying unless you already know a MTScript) would be to do as AM said. Send link to players, player selects their token(S) and then click link to execute the macro which finds all selected tokens and moves them to wherever the link said to go.

Wolph's Bag Of Tools also contains some canned stuff which will EASIER(but still some setup required) use of the movedOverToken/movedOverArea macros which would act as a "teleport pad" so to speak. IMHO, this is the easiest option overall with that I THINK you are trying to accomplish.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

my bot also contains a macro where you can activate another macro when you select a token. Thats whay hes looking for. its simply making use of the ontTokenSelect event.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

wolph42 wrote:my bot also contains a macro where you can activate another macro when you select a token. Thats whay hes looking for. its simply making use of the ontTokenSelect event.
I generally would eschew onTokenSelect vs onMovedOverToken. I would see people trying to use that event for something it was not designed for and causing all source of headaches because they did not think through the conditionals.

Hmm... about the only thing I could think of that might make some sense would be something like a "teleport terminal" which opened a dialog window with a drop down list of hard coded maps, excluding the one you are on(or perhaps a list of other teleport terminals by "name"(Penn Station, Grand Central Station, etc).
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

which I created the functionality, so others don't have to worry about that. E.g. the open door buttons are an example of that which is used quite often.

@OP: the macro is called 'set event button'. there's a tooltip on it which explains how it works. Any token can be used as an 'event button'.

Return to “Feature Requests”