HTML5 support

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

bobifle
Giant

HTML5 support

Post by bobifle »

Hello,

First of, if maptool already supports HTML 5 feel free to throw tomatoes at me.

But I think it doesn't, I looked at the 1.4 roadmap and some swing whatever java stuff included only support html3.

My first tests seems to show that HTML5 is not supported. The thing is, I don't know much about fancy html, but I'm really good at stealing stuff from others. The problem is, everytime I ask google how to do something, HTML5 code pops up.

Anyone has any idea if HTML5 is about to come true ? Otherwise I'd like to humbly ask to figure on the feature requests. Looking at what people have done with the old 1970 HTML, supporting HTML5 could make maptool enter the next era (I'm slightly overstating 8) ).

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: HTML5 support

Post by jfrazierjr »

Yes, but. It for a while. Html 5 is will not work with Swing, the java window manager Maptool was built with. For such support, we would have to utuilice the much, much newer JavaFx window manager. The problem is, that is one h ell of a lot of code that has to be reworked. On top of that, we are using a number of third party things built on top of swiing which do not have native equivalent things in JavaFx.

Bottom line, on the radar, but very slow progress...dont expect soon.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

bobifle
Giant

Post by bobifle »

That's good news !

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

jfrazierjr wrote:Bottom line, on the radar, but very slow progress...dont expect soon.
Yeah... I think it's "been on the radar" for at least 6 years... but, honestly, I don't know if anyone has done anything to advance the ball in a very long while... unless there is all kinds of secret development going on by developers that haven't been very active on the forum for years.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Full Bleed wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote:Bottom line, on the radar, but very slow progress...dont expect soon.
Yeah... I think it's "been on the radar" for at least 6 years... but, honestly, I don't know if anyone has done anything to advance the ball in a very long while... unless there is all kinds of secret development going on by developers that haven't been very active on the forum for years.
To be fair, Jams did his TokenTool in JavaFx and I think he also did a few small scale tests with some of his personal test builds.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “Feature Requests”