Rotate token in "Layout" part of Edit Token panel

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

bubblobill
Giant

Rotate token in "Layout" part of Edit Token panel

Post by bubblobill »

Conic vision does not work well when a token's image is not aligned appropriately.
Here is a sample of an armoured vehicle that works best when used with the shape "Top down". It shows that the cone of vision is centered on the wrong axis for the image.
Picture
tokenVision.GIF
tokenVision.GIF (70.95 KiB) Viewed 934 times
To work right, the axis for the cone of vision should be centered down the middle of the vehicle.
Rotating the image in an external editor works for important objects but is too much hassle for throw-away tokens.

I would prefer to have facing control work in the Layout section of the Edit Token panel so that I can rotate the image to what I want. Nicer for me anyway. Here is a visual aid.
Picture
editToken.GIF
editToken.GIF (133.95 KiB) Viewed 934 times
Bubblobill on the forum.
@Reverend on the MapTool Discord Server

Responsible for less atrocities than most... I do accept responsibility for these though: SmartDoors, Simple d20 Framework - barebones, Drop-in: All 3.5 SRD Monsters, Drop in: Simple Character Editor, Battletech Framework

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Rotate token in "Layout" part of Edit Token panel

Post by Full Bleed »

bubblobill wrote:Rotating the image in an external editor works for important objects but is too much hassle for throw-away tokens.
I know the documentation isn't clear... but you can use the Offset setting in conic vision to create a few conic vision types and select the one that matches the default facing of the token.

I played around with it and got it to work... but it does something strange with the default facing when applying the Sight Type for the first time. Applying a workaround would be simpler if it didn't do that... and someone else might know what it's doing to make this easier...

But I'd probably create 4 vision types like this:

Code: Select all

Conic Vision 120 1: cone arc=120
Conic Vision 120 2: cone arc=120 offset=90
Conic Vision 120 3: cone arc=120 offset=180
Conic Vision 120 4: cone arc=120 offset=270
Then make 4 Sight setting macros in campaign macros (using apply to selected) to cycle through to get the correct one like this:

Code: Select all

[h: setSightType("Conic Vision 120 1")]
Then you could quickly cycle through the vision types to get the correct one applied.

This would keep you out of an external editor... but isn't ideal.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

bubblobill, Car Wars, right? :)

I handled this by having a "vision" token that is placed under the car, then rotated for whether you want the vision to look to the front, back, left, or right. If front/back, the vision type is set to a different vision than right/left, since the "cones" are different depending on which direction you're trying to look at.

bubblobill
Giant

Post by bubblobill »

Thanks for the workarounds folks, they will certainly alleviate most of the angst in the here and now.

Cheers very much :D
Bubblobill on the forum.
@Reverend on the MapTool Discord Server

Responsible for less atrocities than most... I do accept responsibility for these though: SmartDoors, Simple d20 Framework - barebones, Drop-in: All 3.5 SRD Monsters, Drop in: Simple Character Editor, Battletech Framework

Return to “Feature Requests”