[1.3.b50] MapTool stores/recalls server info

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

RPTroll
TheBard

Re: [1.3.b50] MapTool stores/recalls server info

Post by RPTroll »

hmmm. Wondering if this might be better placed in the MapTool launcher jar since its storing all sorts of info already concerning stack size, maptool version and the like. You might be able to pass a command line arg that includes the desired information to automatically log in (or simply remember the last login).
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Yeah, the launcher can already bypass the interactive portion and jump straight to the MapTool jar (using the settings stored in the mt.cfg file).

A command line option to MT that allowed a single menu option to be selected could work, but it would only bring up the dialog; the user would still need to fill in any missing details (if there were any) and click OK.

A better choice would be to use XStream to dump the data structure that the dialog displays to an XML file, then allow the XML file to be on the command line. That way a player could have multiple different connection configurations exported and specify which one they want.

Adding that to the launcher is easy enough since there's a field for adding arbitrary command line arguments, but adding another panel that let's the user choose an XML file from a directory would be pretty easy. (It could be populated the same way the Logging tab is done -- by reading the XML to extract certain information and adding that info to the panel.)

This wouldn't really be that tough. Two buttons could be added to the Connect to Server dialog, Import and Export. (Might as well provide both, right? ;)) Then check the command line inside main() and if there's a string that ends in .xml, automatically jump to the part of the Import button that reads the file. Add a special check to automatically click OK and the patch is done.

:D

Varkin
Kobold

Post by Varkin »

Has anyone got this working in any capacity? If would be hugely useful to me. I use maptools as table top map for my in person game on a gaming table I built and it would really speed up me having to run around the table to each station to start the stupid thing up. Plus some of the touch screens are very small and it is a serious pain to start up maptools on them with no keyboards or mice attached to them.

See the link in my sig if you want to check out this insane table.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

As you may have noticed the development cycle is pretty slow. I would probably look for other solutions. You can probably save the running around by using a VNC client to connect to each and start the app.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Varkin wrote:Has anyone got this working in any capacity? If would be hugely useful to me. I use maptools as table top map for my in person game on a gaming table I built and it would really speed up me having to run around the table to each station to start the stupid thing up. Plus some of the touch screens are very small and it is a serious pain to start up maptools on them with no keyboards or mice attached to them.
Not sure exactly what you want to do... but in a setup like yours I would definitely hook up a gyroscopic "air" mouse.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “Feature Requests”