Drawables via Scripting

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
rkathey
Giant

Drawables via Scripting

Post by rkathey »

This might have been covered somewhere else but since I can't find it I'll ask.

Will the new scripting functionality be able to draw the standard map tool lines, shapes, and templates? Can we assign them names for manipulation later? Will there be a function to return tokens inside/touching the drawables?

Just wondering. It could have an affect on how spells and other area of effect stuff works later.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the RPTrolls are readying another attack of proposed functionality on the developers.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Hasn't come up yet, but wouldn't be hard to do something like: /drawrect x, y, width, height

Determining whether a token hits a drawable or not is pretty easy too.

The only tricky one in your list is the modification of drawables. Not that the modification itself is hard, but that it has effects on the UI that may not be desirable. Those would have to be defined and resolved. Specifically with the erase tool. This is why the drawables are not vectors (objects).

Imagine you draw a filled rectangle and carve out a piece using the circle tool. If you move the rectangle you'll get the entire rectangle back, since the erase drawable didn't also move, which probably isn't what you had wanted.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

rkathey
Giant

Post by rkathey »

Modifying a drawable probably isn't needed. If you need to modify you could just erase and recreate. The only reason I thought of associating a name with it was to remove it later.

I've had several thoughts on how to implement area of effect stuff. One was to throw down a drawable, see what's under it, the apply the effect. There may be better methods.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the RPTrolls are readying another attack of proposed functionality on the developers.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Just to give you more context, the drawables are just shapes, those shapes can trivially be asked which tokens intersect it.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Return to “MapTool”