Demo Now!

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
dorpond
RPTools Team

Demo Now!

Post by dorpond »

I am throwing a demo right now starting out with 1.1B35 and progressing to 1.2B5.

RPTools.net server: dorpond

Sorry for no notice but a demo I setup for other fell through.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Scratch that - we are going to demo 1.2B5 for those who want to check out the new features.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Demo over. Thanks for those who connected.

We found out that 1.2B5 was unplayable. We had 4 players connected and the map was barely movable.

It was all pretty chaotic with all the light radius and slowness so I abandoned it and went to trusty old 1.1 to show some of the cool things that can be done with Maptool.

I am eagerly awaiting 1.2B6 since it will improve on many of the performance areas. When it is released, I will plan on another testing session to check out how it performs.

Thanks again for those who connected!

Some key points that were discussed:
1. Now that FOG doesn't block movement, LBL should. That would keep tokens in bounds and not allowed to accidently go inside of a structure which would be bad if there was auto reveal since it would light up the inside of structures.

2. Currently with the texture drawing, we can pick the fill texture and the border texture. If we could change the thinkness of the border texture, we could draw floors and walls in one full swoop (floor would be fill, the border would be the wall). Then we turn off the border and fill in the hallways. It would be brilliant! (I wonder if we could also add a gradient there to produce a shadowy effect too? Hmm..)

3. With 1.2B5, I closed my host session and Dalna never knew it. He was still moving his token around on his map. It wasn't until several minutes later that he found out that we were now running a different instance of Maptool. Why his was still operational is beyond me. All I did as a host was close Maptool while players were connected.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

1) that's unexpected, the fog should still block movement, let's investigate
2) expected functionality, I'll see about getting it into b6
3) this will be fixed when we look closer at the networking
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Dracorat
Dragon

Post by Dracorat »

Please dont let fog block movement. The app is MORE usable now that my players can move in to fog areas. Sometimes I have to dig them out, sure, but its not as much a hassle as them not fitting in to a square because some integral part of it was covered up by a pixel of fog.

trevor

Post by trevor »

The algorithm to determine whether you can enter the fog is actually very, very forgiving, a little too forgiving actually, but it makes sure you can always at least see a sliver.

When we add in movement approval, I'll remove the blocking, and render the movement above the fog, then the GM can reposition the unit if needed (oops, you tried to go through a wall) and the expose their path.

mosat
Giant

Post by mosat »

dorpond wrote:3. With 1.2B5, I closed my host session and Dalna never knew it. He was still moving his token around on his map. It wasn't until several minutes later that he found out that we were now running a different instance of Maptool. Why his was still operational is beyond me. All I did as a host was close Maptool while players were connected.
I had the same experience, I knew you had logged off because everyone left the connections window, but I had free reign on the map.
~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp
~ Outputsheet Tamarin & Mac build guru

Dalna
Dragon

Post by Dalna »

For 2) widths...could we have a option for say Hex width since we set that already? And it would be nice to make quick blocky dungeon maps.

Editd out comment on LBL and made post in the forum link below.
Last edited by Dalna on Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Dalna wrote:Maybe we could say have a routine to clean up the LBL, especially near corners of LBL areas
Here's a thread that is talking about optimizing the calculations:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=1235

It's still in progress

Return to “MapTool”