Server Error

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: Server Error

Post by jfrazierjr »

Pinwidget wrote: 2. When I start a second server and try to connect via the RPTools.net tab I get the following error message:

"Could not load campaign"
"java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect"
Thats not supposed to work. At least not with a "good" router. Most routers know that when a request is just going to go out and come right back in, they just ignore it.
Pinwidget wrote: However, when I connect via the Direct tab using the IP address 127.0.0.1 this works. Does this suggest the problem is with the firewall on my laptop?
Likely, the opposite... ie, the issue is with your router. As a verification test, use the direct tab and input your internal IP address(192.x.x.x), you should be able to connect. Is there any way you can get access to another computer(say a friend who has a laptop and can come over) for a few minutes and have then try using the local address(the 192.x.x.x) while connected to your home network? If this works, then the issue IS with your router.

Pinwidget wrote: I reached step 4. Could there be a conflict between UPnP and port forwarding? If so how do I disable port forwarding? I'd value any help.
cheers
There should not be a conflict if you (or someone else) did not set up port forwarding in the past. First, find your router's model number and look up the manual on the internet to see if it allows PortForwarding and if so how to set it(make SURE you do NOT enable UPnP when starting the server if you have forwarded the ports!!!!!).

Another option is to update the firmware on your router as it may have a buggy UPnP and try again.

Another option is to use a VPN software such as Hamachi.

Another possible issue is that your ISP is blocking lots of ports. Just or giggles, try port 443 and see if canyouseeme.org can find it. You might be out of luck if this is the case, some ISP's just plain SUCK(see below for a possible way to get around this)

Another option is to get a new router.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Pinwidget
Kobold

Post by Pinwidget »

Just following up on these last posts....

Over the last couple of weeks I've used Maptools a couple of times to host games. Every time I get a UPnP error message.

I have purged the firewall of port forwarding rules. The first time I encountered this after last posting I disabled proactive threat protection in Symantec and that seemed to work as a short term fix. It is still disabled and yet I get the following error message when starting a server.....

While configuring UPnP (1)
net.sbbi.upnp.messages.UPNPResponsesException: Detailed error code :501, Detaied error description :Action failed.

hit OK and get...

UPnP: Port Mapping Failed.

I've double checked UPnP on my router - it is enabled.
I've used canyouseeme.org to check port 51234 - I get the timeout message.
I've started a second MT client on the same machine and whilst I can connect to the server hosted via the first client using LAN and Direct tabs, I cannot via the RPTools.net tab - I get a timeout message.
I've disabled the firewall on my machine and that makes no difference.

It looks like there is a conflict with UPnP because a portforwarding rule is in play, but I just dont know where to look to find and remove that rule. The issue keeps repeating itself, and whilst I've managed to get around it by disabling Symantec, there must be something running on the machine. I do not alter the firewall or other networking settings between attempting game sessions. Anyone got any pointers?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Pinwidget wrote:While configuring UPnP (1)
net.sbbi.upnp.messages.UPNPResponsesException: Detailed error code :501, Detaied error description :Action failed.

hit OK and get...

UPnP: Port Mapping Failed.
This means your router is refusing to perform the port forwarding as requested by MapTool. The purpose of UPnP is to allow the application to tell the router which port to forward and where to forward it to. If the router has a problem, you'll see the error reported from the net.sbbi.upnp library.
I've double checked UPnP on my router - it is enabled.
Then the router is refusing for some other reason. I suggest resetting your router to firmware defaults and then unplugging it from the wall for 30 seconds (don't skimp on the time). Then do your networking tests again.

You made comments regarding the Direct and LAN tabs that makes me think you haven't read the Networking FAQ. Please do so -- it'll give you some terminology as well as the theory of operation.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azhrei wrote: You made comments regarding the Direct and LAN tabs that makes me think you haven't read the Networking FAQ. Please do so -- it'll give you some terminology as well as the theory of operation.
Azhrei, I assume the RPTools tab is queried to return an IP and port address right? Then MT tries to connect.... So.... why can't we just prompt with a "don't try this darn it!" message when people try to connect from the same gateway address???? Thoughts?
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

jfrazierjr wrote:Azhrei, I assume the RPTools tab is queried to return an IP and port address right? Then MT tries to connect.... So.... why can't we just prompt with a "don't try this darn it!" message when people try to connect from the same gateway address???? Thoughts?
LOL! Excellent idea!

*forehead slap*

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azhrei wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote:Azhrei, I assume the RPTools tab is queried to return an IP and port address right? Then MT tries to connect.... So.... why can't we just prompt with a "don't try this darn it!" message when people try to connect from the same gateway address???? Thoughts?
LOL! Excellent idea!

*forehead slap*
My super hero name is: "Captain Obvious!!!!!"(said in a deep booming voice with a long draw on the word captain)

Yep, thats me... full of obvious excellent ideas, just no time or don't have the skill to implement.... :mrgreen:

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

This was very easy so the code is done and committed to SVN (rev 5667).

Return to “MapTool”