Lag problem

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
dungeonlord
Cave Troll

Lag problem

Post by dungeonlord »

Hi guys
I started using maptool for my online campaign and it's very nice. I only have one problem with Lag. I started looking for a solution in the forum but i couldn't find any simple arrangment for the settings.
i've a AsusEEE 1000H with 2 GB of RAM with windows XP. I launch maptool form the launcher with the following setting:
Max Mem 768
Min mem 32
stack size 2
the framework is smaller than 2MB and the map had just three textures, a couple of trees and just 6 token on it without any "visual blocking" or light source.
Do you have any suggestion? In case u need more information do not hesitate to ask.
Thanks for the advices and keep up with the godd work

Oompa
Cave Troll

Re: Lag problem

Post by Oompa »

Try setting memory to 512 or 1024..

And by lag you mean over internet or on your computer while making the map?
Keep rollin them dice...

dungeonlord
Cave Troll

Post by dungeonlord »

i mean during the game when the players are connected.

Oompa
Cave Troll

Post by Oompa »

As i said, try 512 mb or 1024..

Have all other players use the same memory size.. and lag most times is made by firewalls, crappy ip's or downloads.. have any of those?
Keep rollin them dice...

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Doesn't sound like you should be having lag issues given what we know. You might want to share your campaign file and let someone profile it.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

You can o a basic test by going to the Tools menu (I think that's the one) and turning on the "Collect Performance Data" option. This will open a window that will produce a bunch of numbers. Those numbers represent the number of milliseconds taken to perform each part of the job involved in drawing the map/tokens/lights/etc on the screen. If all of those numbers are low (for example, less than a few hundred) then the lag problem is NOT with the graphics portion of the program.

The mostly likely other culprit is the network, as already mentioned. You can try visiting speedtest.net or dslreports.com and do some speed tests. Always repeat the test multiple times with locations that are both geographically near and far, since that gives you a better idea of what your average should be.

My cablemodem maxes out at about 9800Kbps download and 1800Kbps upload. You should find MapTool quite responsive with speeds as low as 1500Kbps/200Kbps (I've hosted a server from hotel rooms where the connection is in that ballpark).

Return to “MapTool”