Really, really far out idea

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
snikle
Great Wyrm

Really, really far out idea

Post by snikle »

Ok, not expecting this to be implemented, but as I am working on an 'Aliens' sort of game at the moment a thought occured to me, it might have implications for other games as well, I don't know.

You know that cool motion detector they have in Aliens? I was wondering if there would be a way to impliement a radar sort of thing, it could work just like vision, but only 'ping' a variable set by the GM (or perhaps on command). Intsead of updating the map whenever one of the minis moved, it would update only when it sent a ping.

Like I said, not suggesting this be implemented, just thought of it, and wondered everyone else thought about it.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I think as we better define visions down the road, this type of vision would definately be within reach. I am not sure if it would sweep or ping, but it might place little dots where tokens are perhaps..

I think it is a neat idea!

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Help me understand the feature a little better, how would it work (what would trigger it), what would the map show ?
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Did you ever see the Alien movies Trevor? Remember those radar handheld devices they carried? They pulsed out a radar signal in a cone shape and little dots appears on the radar.

That is what he is talking about.

[edit] actually it wasn't a cone shape, it was a half circle.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Right, what I mean is, is the expectation that an animated radar signal going out would show dots above the fog for a moment or two ?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Is 'shadow' vision in the works? Basically a vision overlay that shows the size and number of tokens without detail. In this case, the tokens would be grayed out.

Assuming something like this is in the pipe, it would simulate the mechanics of 'You see something is out there' but wouldn't simulate the ping.

Although allowing vision to 'ping' would be kinda cool.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hmmm, hadn't heard of that one before

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Shadow vision would be great for the space game I'm planning. Central to exploring systems is scanner ability. Think of the old star trek long range and short range sensors. This would also come in handy for dungeons where torches cast a strong light out to a radius then give partial illumination to a larger radius.

This assumes that visions can overlay and you could have normal vision and shadowed vision active at the same time. The shadow vision would have a longer range with token detail being revealed once the token moved into normal vision range.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

I could see me using it in a fantasy setting too. I would want the ability to change the background of the radar, and the colors of the dots.

That way I could turn it into a crystal ball that shows living/orcs/non-living/movement whatever.

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

I REALLY like the idea of a 2-toned vision, with the dim vision showing tokens without their picture. This would make night encounters even better than they already are! :D
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

I like the shadow vision idea as well, that sounds really great and useful to mean GMs like me.

For the Ping vision, I would say maybe just show it greyed out (green would be great for my effect, but probably not sit well with all)for a second or two, then fade to nothing. I think as a GM I would it so I would manually set the ping, say by a menu selection of something on the token. Then it would 'ping' just those tokens in the ping vision radius or something like that.

Like I said, didn't there was any way to implement this, just thought it sounded like a neat idea. This, and the shadow vision I am pretty sure are not in other VGTs either. :wink:
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

trevor

Post by trevor »

I'm planning on doing a ton of eye candy during 2.0 (to come immediately after 1.3), let's plan on taking a close look at adding this feature at that time :)

Return to “MapTool”