more drawing tools - paintbucket ect.

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Crabheart
Cave Troll

more drawing tools - paintbucket ect.

Post by Crabheart »

ok here are a few things i think are missing.

first of all is the paint bucket tool. it would be great to be able to change a texture in a flash. and even greater to paint bucket view blockers.

also need a marquee tool for textures ect. to grab move copy and paste whole sections ect.

the grid needs to be able to go to 400. it only gose 350. the maps im copying from the module i use have 1 = 10ft squares. so i would want to draw that in 400, then switch it to 200 so the 10ft squares become 5ft squares for player movement.

another thing would be able to move/scale the notes box. if u put too much on it the players cant see it unless they click on it.

it would be cool to have an option for instead of clicking on notes, if a player steps on a certain spot you can make notes pop up. "the tile you step on lowers beneath you" or "this box contains ect ect ect" for things you can see within visible range.

Malekith
Giant

Re: more drawing tools - paintbucket ect.

Post by Malekith »

Ok, nice to see some thought going into this, but here's my answers to it:
1. Some of these should probably be considered as a feature request and moved to said forum and I'm sure if you look then you'll probably find what you've asked for may already be there in some form or another :D
2. I agree a Paintbucket for textures/VBL would indeed be a very useful tool and I'm sure the devs have a very good reason for not doing so alread, I'll leave it for them to say or not.
3. A marquee tool? I'm not sure I follow you, from my experience a marquee is a space for some text to revolve/loop in, but what you said there sounds pretty interesting.
4. The grid cap seems pretty sensible to me. Try resizing the map to the grid, at 200px per 5ft square that must be a hugely detailed map and also will be very very memory intensive. Most people run encounter maps at 50 or 100px per 5ft square, as that's a good compromise between quality and size. Try making it half-size, say import it as 200 for your 10ft squares then halve that for your character tokens?
5. Having a moveable/Scaleable notes box is an interesting idea, but how about using macros and frames? they're just as good. The Notes/GM notes are there for markers and quick-access notes most frameworks now have a handout/description manager macro that is much more flexible. Search the User Creation and Macro forums for some examples and see if there are any you're happy to drop in to your campaign and use ;)

Hope that helps.

Mal
Mal

Crabheart
Cave Troll

Post by Crabheart »

oi im still a bit new and havnt learnd macros yet.

also with the marquee you could copy sections you have painted with the paint tool and paste them into another map.

the paintbucket tool is really a must have.

also i cannot find a way to rotate anything thats not in a 90 degree angle.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

You can rotate freely by using mouse wheel and pressing ctrl (it was ctrl, wasnt it?. It sure is one of those keys ...)

Raoden
Dragon

Post by Raoden »

CoveredInFish wrote:You can rotate freely by using mouse wheel and pressing ctrl (it was ctrl, wasnt it?. It sure is one of those keys ...)
Shift to rotate to the grid's main directions; Shift + Ctrl to rotate more flexibly.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
- G. K. Chesterton

Wonderful HTML/CSS reference * Color Manager * Token Manager 2.0

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

When you select a tool in the toolbar, read the hint text that shows up in the statusbar are at the bottom of the window.

Jshock
Dragon

Post by Jshock »

I would be content with more flexible brushes; give me some different shapes and the ability to do feathered edges.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Feathered edges might be unlikely. I'm not the graphics guru that Trevor is by any stretch (!) but I understand that the feathered edging means transparency support and I seem to recall him saying that there is/was/could be a noticeable performance hit for rendering in that case. But that's just hearsay...

Different brush styles would be relatively easy, I would think.

Return to “MapTool”