Tokens, Objects, Etc...

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
morval
Cave Troll

Tokens, Objects, Etc...

Post by morval »

I've got a few questions that I haven't seen in the documentation or forum, I'm sure its there somewhere.

When I drag a png from my computer onto MT it seems to automatically make it a token. I know I can change it to an object later. Just wondering if there is any way to place it as an object?

What is the differences between Objects and Tokens as far as the mechanics of MT go?

I just started looking into VTs and my first one was BRPG which I like. MT does somethings I need for D&D though and I like it also. In BRPG each cell is 61 pixels.

From my tests it looks like items that are free size do not size when changing the grid size. Anything with an actual size defined does resize when the map grid is changed. It would be nice if you could define an object's size by cells so that it would size with the grid no matter what map you used. Then you could create a Fireball template for example and it would be a circle of 8 cells by 8 cells no matter what map you used.

I hope I have made some sense.

morval

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Check out my tutorials. The link is in my signature.
View MapTool video tutorials at RPToolsTutorials.net

Phergus
Deity

Re: Tokens, Objects, Etc...

Post by Phergus »

Brads videos are an excellent source of info on using MapTool. Highly recommended.
morval wrote:When I drag a png from my computer onto MT it seems to automatically make it a token. I know I can change it to an object later. Just wondering if there is any way to place it as an object?
If the Stamp tool is active when you drop a graphic in MT then it comes in as an object.
morval wrote:What is the differences between Objects and Tokens as far as the mechanics of MT go?
The differences are more in intended use then anything else. Object Stamps and Background Stamps can only be placed or moved by the GM and, normally, represent the physical elements of the virtual world. Tokens are, primarily, for the PCs, NPCs and other critters.
morval wrote:From my tests it looks like items that are free size do not size when changing the grid size. Anything with an actual size defined does resize when the map grid is changed.
Correct.
morval wrote:It would be nice if you could define an object's size by cells so that it would size with the grid no matter what map you used.
And you can, from a limited set of sizes. From either the Properties dialog or the right-click menu you can pick one of the standard DnD sizes. If you do this the objects retain their size when resizing the grid.

As the token format is extended to include saved objects I imagine that Trevor will build in the ability to specify sizes in grid cells.

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

It should be noted that that upper size limitation is for tokens, not stamps. Stamps can be any size you want.
I cast firecube! ~4E

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Objects also have a few nice features built in that tokens don't have. Any notes in the Player/GM Notes sections will appear when the object is clicked on. Equally pictures can be assigned to an object to appear in this pop-up note. You can even put hyperlinks in there.

Tokens go the other way, with lots of nice features such as the ability to add character sheets and stats.

Return to “MapTool”