Drawing maps directly in maptool - some comments

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
galneweinhaw
Dragon

Drawing maps directly in maptool - some comments

Post by galneweinhaw »

Well, after seeing all the cool stuff other people have been creating directly from mt...I've started doing it and it is working pretty sweet!

After some serious map building last night, I have some recommendations for your consideration.

I apologize if any of these are repetitions, but I'm still a galnew-come-lately to mt, so please forgive!

I'll also try and prioritize as I see the recommendations
**** = can't continue without it
*** = frustrating
** = would be super helpful
* = nice to have

**1. I think this was already brought up, but having the distance on some of the drawing tools displayed directly over the curser makes accuracy difficult =)

***2. When drawing a square while snapped to grid, the square appears to be offset by a pixel to the left an up or down one too, can't remember) of the grid. This wouldn't be annoying if my grid was 300x300px, but when they are only 40x40 it is obvious.

Also note that the preview image is displayed correctly...then gets shifted when you commit.

Drawing tools preview
*3a. For accuracy, it would be cool to have a preview outline, as opposed to a solid preview, perhaps a double preview line, one showing the edge of the fill, the other showing the edge of the outline... this would be especially useful when trying to be accurate when you are using an outline >1px width

*3b. Giving the preview and transparency would be nice, or at least an option to have the fill not displayed during the preview.

*4. Another option request =) To be able to have the outline contained within your square/circle/polygon or outside. Currently it is centered, which I find the most difficult to use for accuracy unless using 1px border.

**5. Can the rest of the quick-map textures be added to the drawing texture defaults?

***6. Being able to scroll while drawing would rock.

EDIT:

**7. More quick keys to get between tools. For example, using the arrow keys to move between tools within a tool-group (when no token is selected) Maybe use escape to "go back". For example, if you have a token selected, ESC would take you back to your last tool, now the arrow keys would rotate through the tools in the group. ESC again would put the focus on the Groups, allowing you to rotate through the tool groups with the arrow keys, does that make sense? =)

I better submit this before I accidentally lose it all =P

Hope there's something here that will help! And to put money where my mouth is, I'm happy to volunteer to tackle any of them =)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Great ideas!

I especially like 3B and 4.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Good list, I'll put in trackers
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

As for 1, you can turn off the drawing distance in the tools menu. Not as nice as having it display somewhere else, but it helps at the moment.

As a thought, would it be possible to move this to the status bar at the bottom? On many graphics apps the co-ordinates of the mouse pointer are always shown in the bar at the bottom.

Also can we have the decision to turn off drawing distances persist between maptool sessions?

mudpyr8
Giant

Post by mudpyr8 »

If ALT isn't currently being used when drawing, can we get it to toggle Fill.

That way if you are drawing really basic maps with black walls and white fill, you can:

1. CTRL-ALT draw to create just an outline snapped
2. draw to create freehand polygon, filled (like a small door or table)
3. SHIFT draw to erase whole areas

Right now to toggle between fill/no fill I have to go up and click on the button (the new interface helps a lot though).

Adding in the ALT to toggle fill would really help speed drawing. If that was there I could draw hall, room, hall; erase one hall to room connection to create an arch; draw small filled to create a door to the other hall. All this without having to touch the draw pallet.

If I could CTRL-# between tools or something even better, but the ALT function is what I'm looking for.

If there is a way to already do that - GREAT! Please share.

Thanks.
Legendsmiths presents:
NOVA6, streamlined universal RPG where action happens at the speed of narrative
Narosia * Sea of Tears, a complete fantasy game powered by the Hero System.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

mudpyr8 wrote:If ALT isn't currently being used when drawing, can we get it to toggle Fill.
Anyone else have an opinion on this mapping ?

There isn't a way to quickly change tools ... yet. It's one of those often talked about, always delayed features. Keep bugging me and I"ll get it one of these days :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I'm all for it. Being able to quickly choose to fill or not will be handy.

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

trevor wrote:Keep bugging me and I"ll get it one of these days :)
Bug. ;)

Return to “MapTool”