Maptool confusion

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
chrobry
Cave Troll

Maptool confusion

Post by chrobry »

Hello
I have to say so far this is a great tool. Couple more futures and I think it will become my staple: Do maps in CC2, but always display in MapTool!

Anyway, I do have a question. I can't seem to be able to "extend" a map, or more to the point to combine multiple maps unto one display. Let me give you an example. I have several maps that make up a dungeon (you open a room and go into a seperate room).
I realize that I could just create one giant map, export, zoom in. Just making sure there isn't another way first.
Secondly is there a way to have tokens move from map to map? Right now after I open a map I have to add tokens to it, and I would like to have at least the characters move from place to place.

Secondly is there a way to have tool that uncovers FOW be same size/dimention as token light?
Finally is there a way to have a uncover FOW shape be constant size? That way when party moves the I can easily and quickly uncover a new area.

Once again though, THANK YOU!! This tool may just become a life saver. It has INCREDIBLE potential.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Welcome to the board chrobry.

Since the developers haven't chimed in yet, I'll try to answer your questions.

For combining maps I use gimp or some other image editor. I don't think maptool allows for this at present. One thing to remember that the larger your map the more memory you're going to use.

I don't know of a way to move tokens from map to map. I think they are all contained within the 'zone' they are created in.

They are working on a FoW double overlay so that the players can't see what's outside their light radius.

For uncovering FoW you can have the mouse snap to grid so you aren't moving the mouse a lot to try to make it line up with a grid point. I know this isn't exactly what you're asking but it is pretty quick with the rectangular FoW remove and snap to grid.

I agree with your last point completely. :-)
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Re: Maptool confusion

Post by trevor »

chrobry wrote:Hello
I have to say so far this is a great tool. Couple more futures and I think it will become my staple: Do maps in CC2, but always display in MapTool!
Welcome welcome !
chrobry wrote:I can't seem to be able to "extend" a map, or more to the point to combine multiple maps unto one display.
Hmmm. At the moment, the most straightforward way to handle this is to pre-combine them in a paint tool. In the very near future we will be supporting "stamps", that is, the ability to drop any image onto the map and size, rotate, scale it in any way you want, and have it become part of the map. I imagine the usage would be something like: create an unbounded map with a generic tile (rocks, for example for underground crawls), then drop a room image onto it as a stamp. Then drop new rooms as you go. Would this satisfy your need ?
chrobry wrote:Secondly is there a way to have tokens move from map to map? Right now after I open a map I have to add tokens to it, and I would like to have at least the characters move from place to place.
Actually, there is, but it isn't super obvious. You can copy-paste tokens, either to the same map, or a new one. Try this: select one or more tokens in one map, hit CTRL-C then switch maps, move the mouse pointer to the location you want the tokens to be, then hit CTRL-V. If I haven't broken it recently you will get a copy of the original tokens on the new map at the location of your mouse pointer. I've been trying to think of a way to make that more obvious. I'm open to suggestions.
chrobry wrote:Secondly is there a way to have tool that uncovers FOW be same size/dimention as token light?
Actually, there is a tracker for the ability to say something like "expose the fow under this visibility". However, we think it is more accurate to manually expose it since autoexposing it could potentially expose too much (the secret room on the south wall).
chrobry wrote:Finally is there a way to have a uncover FOW shape be constant size? That way when party moves the I can easily and quickly uncover a new area.
Would the visibility expose described above handle that ?
chrobry wrote:Once again though, THANK YOU!! This tool may just become a life saver. It has INCREDIBLE potential.
We're excited you are here with us :) And we LOVE forum posts, so feel free to try out the alpha releases and help guide the tool to become the best virtual tabletop ever !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Post by Guest »

trevor wrote:
chrobry wrote:Hello
I have to say so far this is a great tool. Couple more futures and I think it will become my staple: Do maps in CC2, but always display in MapTool...etc.....
I don't think I have ever seen friendlier and more rapid response EVER!!

It would be nice to be able to combine maps, but its not essential, I guess the thing I am worried about is how well the zoom future will work if the map is big. Still though not exactly a big issue.

DOH Copy/Paste will do it? Well never mind then that pretty much handles that problem.

Now sure what you mean by "visibility expose" am I missing something obvious here? I did not see such an option.

I guess when it comes to exposing FOW you have these choices: Polygon, Square, Circle and freestyle. The issue with all four of these options is two fold. First of all, the light source (i.e. torch,etc) in square system does not shine a perfect circle. In fact it does exactly what the current light in the token shows, a kind of circle composed with squares. I don't have a tool currently to dupliated that quickly (that I know off).
second issue that as party moves, you have to redraw the same shape again (unless there is an option that I don't know about), which slows down the game, and makes it not very procise.

Just so you know I actually will use this program (first time in my next session) as my second monitor display, and not over the internet. Therefore my plaers will start getting frustrated if I play around the 'puter for good portion of the session :)

Now as to suggestions (OR should I crate seperate post for this?)

What would make this complete for my purposes (again I use it as second monitor display map not over internet so I don't need things like Chat or dice roller). would be as follows:

1) MOST IMPORTANT: Ability to hide things that will be only showed if I chose to show them (like secret doors).

2) Ability to show where the "walls" are. What I mean by this is a sections of the maps that light source can not pass through. This would be great for a "mood" setter as you walk down a corridor and only see small light revealing the section. This would especially be great in a locked doors, since no toch can pass through a door, and I don't necessary want the party to be able to see through a wall.

3) Ability to go "full screen" That is to say only map is visible no tools, nothing on the "client" window (again mood setter only, not a big deal)

4) Ability to designate party Tokens, which would carry from map to map.

5) a Big movable pointer. Right now space bar does show a pointer, but you can't move it. It would be great if just such a pointer could be shown and moved around.

6). Light source that stays visible around the token, without need to have it highlighted.

what would be neat:

1) Opened map display in writing (sometimes maps look alike in that little map selector window). For instance another window could be added that just lists currently opened maps.

2) Ability to connect to DMGenie so that you could click "select creatuer" and it would appear as a token.

3) Ability to either make "movable FOW" or just to hide previously exposed areas. Think of it this way, if party goes through a maze, it would be great to have the existing area disapear again, if they move, unless they are taking time to map.

4) Tokens bound to a player.. For instance called this token Rodgar the red, a half/orc barbarian. Now this token is bound to a player and shows up in each map token list.

You know that's all I can think of, this program is very close to perfect for me as it is. Honestly the only thing that I truly need is the "DM Layer" so that even if FOW is exposed certain things are hidden, ability to have light source visible all the time, and the ability to adjust FOW based on light. The rest of the suggestions above are just nice to have, and "wouldn't it be great".

Keep up a great work!!
THANK YOU

trevor

Post by trevor »

You're in luck, most of these features are already lined up for implementation in the next several releases :)
chrobry wrote:It would be nice to be able to combine maps, but its not essential, I guess the thing I am worried about is how well the zoom future will work if the map is big. Still though not exactly a big issue.
Give it a try and let me know if there is a problem.
chrobry wrote:DOH Copy/Paste will do it? Well never mind then that pretty much handles that problem.
Heh, now the trick is figuring out how to make that more obvious so that it's easy to figure out.
chrobry wrote:Now sure what you mean by "visibility expose" am I missing something obvious here? I did not see such an option.
A future feature would be to click a token, and select "Expose visible range"
chrobry wrote:I guess when it comes to exposing FOW you have these choices: Polygon, Square, Circle and freestyle. The issue with all four of these options is two fold. First of all, the light source (i.e. torch,etc) in square system does not shine a perfect circle. In fact it does exactly what the current light in the token shows, a kind of circle composed with squares. I don't have a tool currently to dupliated that quickly (that I know off).
second issue that as party moves, you have to redraw the same shape again (unless there is an option that I don't know about), which slows down the game, and makes it not very procise.
hopefully the feature described above will help with this
chrobry wrote:Just so you know I actually will use this program (first time in my next session) as my second monitor display, and not over the internet. Therefore my plaers will start getting frustrated if I play around the 'puter for good portion of the session :)
Sweet ! Let us know how it goes !
chrobry wrote:1) MOST IMPORTANT: Ability to hide things that will be only showed if I chose to show them (like secret doors).
With the stamp system I described above, I imagine that the GM could toggle visibility on the stamps. That would make it possible to drop a secret door icon on the map, but only toggle it on when the players find it. Would that satisfy this need ? As a side note, the GM can currently make maps and tokens invisible to the players.
chrobry wrote:2) Ability to show where the "walls" are. What I mean by this is a sections of the maps that light source can not pass through. This would be great for a "mood" setter as you walk down a corridor and only see small light revealing the section. This would especially be great in a locked doors, since no toch can pass through a door, and I don't necessary want the party to be able to see through a wall.
This one is a bit more tricky, but will eventually be implemented. At some point we will make it possible to describe the map areas with various attributes such as impassable, wall, or whatever. This would then be connected to the pathing so that tokens will not try to pass through them, and could also be connected to the lighting system to prevent exposing through them. However, this feature, although planned, does not currently have a release date.
chrobry wrote:3) Ability to go "full screen" That is to say only map is visible no tools, nothing on the "client" window (again mood setter only, not a big deal)
This feature is on the list for the 1.1 version. Look for it to hit the alpha version shortly after 1.0 is released.
chrobry wrote:4) Ability to designate party Tokens, which would carry from map to map.
Not sure I understand this one. The GM can currently designate a server as having Strict Token Management, which allows the GM to assign specific tokens to specific players. Transfering tokens from map to map is still manual though.
chrobry wrote:5) a Big movable pointer. Right now space bar does show a pointer, but you can't move it. It would be great if just such a pointer could be shown and moved around.
There are a couple feature enhancement requests for the pointer icon. One of which is to support gestures. Because of you interest, I'll push up the priority on it. I've assigned it to the 1.1 release.
chrobry wrote:6). Light source that stays visible around the token, without need to have it highlighted.
There is a feature request for this already, I'll push up the priority on it
chrobry wrote:1) Opened map display in writing (sometimes maps look alike in that little map selector window). For instance another window could be added that just lists currently opened maps.
This has been discussed in our design meetings, but doesn't have a tracker yet. I'll add one. It should be pretty easy, so I'll implement it soon.
chrobry wrote:2) Ability to connect to DMGenie so that you could click "select creatuer" and it would appear as a token.
Integration with other tools is a big focus for the post 1.0 builds. Could you start a new thread on this specific topic, integration with DMGenie. If you could provide how you envision the connection would work that would be perfect.
chrobry wrote:3) Ability to either make "movable FOW" or just to hide previously exposed areas. Think of it this way, if party goes through a maze, it would be great to have the existing area disapear again, if they move, unless they are taking time to map.
There is a feature request that supports a second fow layer. That is, the map starts totally black, as the players expose the fow the map is shown. As the player's visibility leaves an area, the fow is still exposed, but the map is grayed out (shadowed). That way the GM can move tokens into the exposed-unviewable area and the players won't be able to see it.
chrobry wrote:4) Tokens bound to a player.. For instance called this token Rodgar the red, a half/orc barbarian. Now this token is bound to a player and shows up in each map token list.
See the description about this above, if you still have questions, let me know and we can work it out.

Thanks for the great post ! Keep the features coming, and we would love to hear back how your play experience goes (feel free to create a new post to General or MapTool)

chrobry
Cave Troll

Post by chrobry »

trevor wrote:You're in luck, most of these features are already lined up for implementation in the next several releases :)

WOOHOO!
chrobry wrote:It would be nice to be able to combine maps, but its not essential, I guess the thing I am worried about is how well the zoom future will work if the map is big. Still though not exactly a big issue.
Give it a try and let me know if there is a problem.

You got it, hopefully it won't matter. And if it does, hell I just split a map into smaller area and call it a day.
chrobry wrote:DOH Copy/Paste will do it? Well never mind then that pretty much handles that problem.
Heh, now the trick is figuring out how to make that more obvious so that it's easy to figure out.

Actually its obvious when you think about it, Copy/Paste isn't exactly new, I am kind of ashamed for not getting that.
chrobry wrote:Now sure what you mean by "visibility expose" am I missing something obvious here? I did not see such an option.

The only issue with Tokens/expose is that it won't quite fit the map, you won't be able to do it as part of the map, you see what I mean? Token will always look out of place I am thinking.
chrobry wrote:I guess when it comes to exposing FOW you have these choices: Polygon, Square, Circle and freestyle. The issue with all four of these options is two fold. First of all, the light source (i.e. torch,etc) in square system does not shine a perfect circle. In fact it does exactly what the current light in the token shows, a kind of circle composed with squares. I don't have a tool currently to dupliated that quickly (that I know off).

I will give it a shot see what happens :)
chrobry wrote:Just so you know I actually will use this program (first time in my next session) as my second monitor display, and not over the internet. Therefore my plaers will start getting frustrated if I play around the 'puter for good portion of the session :)
Sweet ! Let us know how it goes !

You got it, we are planning for 2 weeks from now, so a bit of time still. Bummer I want to try i tnow LOL
chrobry wrote:1) MOST IMPORTANT: Ability to hide things that will be only showed if I chose to show them (like secret doors).
With the stamp system I described above, I imagine that the GM could toggle visibility on the stamps. That would make it possible to drop a secret door icon on the map, but only toggle it on when the players find it. Would that satisfy this need ? As a side note, the GM can currently make maps and tokens invisible to the players.

That's same issue as above, essentially tokens are great for players, but as walls and such I am thinking it would kind of take away from a map. Then I suppose I could just create tokens from an original map.. hmmm interesting idea there.

chrobry wrote:2) Ability to show where the "walls" are. What I mean by this is a sections of the maps that light source can not pass through. This would be great for a "mood" setter as you walk down a corridor and only see small light revealing the section. This would especially be great in a locked doors, since no toch can pass through a door, and I don't necessary want the party to be able to see through a wall.
This one is a bit more tricky, but will eventually be implemented. At some point we will make it possible to describe the map areas with various attributes such as impassable, wall, or whatever. This would then be connected to the pathing so that tokens will not try to pass through them, and could also be connected to the lighting system to prevent exposing through them. However, this feature, although planned, does not currently have a release date.

Maybe a line (trace) tool. Anything traced with this tool could be an invisible (to player at least) boundry. For instance let say you have a square room with a door. You use this tool to trace the room, and the door, making that impossible for light to pass through?

chrobry wrote:3) Ability to go "full screen" That is to say only map is visible no tools, nothing on the "client" window (again mood setter only, not a big deal)
This feature is on the list for the 1.1 version. Look for it to hit the alpha version shortly after 1.0 is released.

Darn sweet!! THANK YOU!!!
chrobry wrote:4) Ability to designate party Tokens, which would carry from map to map.
Not sure I understand this one. The GM can currently designate a server as having Strict Token Management, which allows the GM to assign specific tokens to specific players. Transfering tokens from map to map is still manual though.

OK Here is what I mean (and this kind of goes to the whole movable token things). When you create campaign you designate tokens that are always party tokens. These tokens automatically move from map to map. So you don't have to add them as you open up new maps at all. It is assumed that : IF player Then Token :)

chrobry wrote:5) a Big movable pointer. Right now space bar does show a pointer, but you can't move it. It would be great if just such a pointer could be shown and moved around.
There are a couple feature enhancement requests for the pointer icon. One of which is to support gestures. Because of you interest, I'll push up the priority on it. I've assigned it to the 1.1 release.

Thank you very much, such thing is extremly usefull when you using second monitor. almost the bigger the better (ahm within reason) since some players a bit away.. and LOL most of us don't have the best eyesight :: grins ::
chrobry wrote:6). Light source that stays visible around the token, without need to have it highlighted.
There is a feature request for this already, I'll push up the priority on it

Again thank you!
chrobry wrote:1) Opened map display in writing (sometimes maps look alike in that little map selector window). For instance another window could be added that just lists currently opened maps.
This has been discussed in our design meetings, but doesn't have a tracker yet. I'll add one. It should be pretty easy, so I'll implement it soon.

Its not a huge deal, but it just would make keeping track a bit easier that's all.
chrobry wrote:2) Ability to connect to DMGenie so that you could click "select creatuer" and it would appear as a token.
Integration with other tools is a big focus for the post 1.0 builds. Could you start a new thread on this specific topic, integration with DMGenie. If you could provide how you envision the connection would work that would be perfect.

You got it I will do so once I get home from work. So today evening I will open a new thred on this issue.
chrobry wrote:3) Ability to either make "movable FOW" or just to hide previously exposed areas. Think of it this way, if party goes through a maze, it would be great to have the existing area disapear again, if they move, unless they are taking time to map.
There is a feature request that supports a second fow layer. That is, the map starts totally black, as the players expose the fow the map is shown. As the player's visibility leaves an area, the fow is still exposed, but the map is grayed out (shadowed). That way the GM can move tokens into the exposed-unviewable area and the players won't be able to see it.

That sound about right. My think is that on a straight room, this doesn't matter they can see what they have exposed. However for things like mazes where players aren't mapping, it is great for them not to actually know where they have been. It adds to the mystery of a maze (and frustration). Of course it also means that they can start mapping if they want to, which is also a good thing sometimes. Well unless they are being chased by a Dragon in which case stopping to map things maybe a bit ahm.. dangerous.
chrobry wrote:4) Tokens bound to a player.. For instance called this token Rodgar the red, a half/orc barbarian. Now this token is bound to a player and shows up in each map token list.
See the description about this above, if you still have questions, let me know and we can work it out.

Thanks for the great post ! Keep the features coming, and we would love to hear back how your play experience goes (feel free to create a new post to General or MapTool)
I will love to do any help I can. wish I was Java programmer and could contribute more then just suggestions.

Will let you know how it went, I will (I am sure) have very good feedback from the players.

Thank you very much!

PS. Sorry about quoting above, I am at work, and didn't realize that quote isn't being picked up. Will make other posts clearer.

chrobry
Cave Troll

Post by chrobry »

trevor wrote:Now sure what you mean by "visibility expose" am I missing something obvious here? I did not see such an option.

chrobry wrote:
I guess when it comes to exposing FOW you have these choices: Polygon, Square, Circle and freestyle. The issue with all four of these options is two fold. First of all, the light source (i.e. torch,etc) in square system does not shine a perfect circle. In fact it does exactly what the current light in the token shows, a kind of circle composed with squares. I don't have a tool currently to dupliated that quickly (that I know off).

Hi! Sorry to be a bother (ahm again) but I simply do not see any option that says: "Expose visible range". Is there a newer build of maptool I should be using, or am I totally blind?

Currently when I right click a token the options I get are:

Set Token State
Size
Arrange
Light
Snap to Grid
Visible
Rename
Move
Delete

Under the Light menu I have:
Placement
Bright Light
Shadows
Color

trevor

Post by trevor »

Don't worry, your eyes are fine :)

The key is that it's a "future feature" :) It hasn't been implemented yet, but is expected to be built in the not too distant future.

chrobry
Cave Troll

Post by chrobry »

trevor wrote:Don't worry, your eyes are fine :)

The key is that it's a "future feature" :) It hasn't been implemented yet, but is expected to be built in the not too distant future.

!! DOH Reading for 1st grades here. I read it as future future, and therefore thought you misstyped.

Ahh well I would sure love that "future feature" LOL

trevor

Post by trevor »

Ooooooh. You mean be able to un-expose the fow. Yeah, that is totally supported. All of the drawing tools toggle from draw to erase by holding the SHIFT key. In the fog tools, if you hold SHIFT while drawing you will un-expose the area you draw.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

A suggestion on the ability to move tokens from map to map: This could be a feature of token groups (when it is release).

Just a thought.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hmmm, RPTroll, could you flesh out the idea a little bit ? I imagine that when token groups are implemented (move one token, move them all), copying them would also copy all the grouped tokens.

Is there something more you are thinking ?

Post by Guest »

trevor wrote:
Ooooooh. You mean be able to un-expose the fow. Yeah, that is totally supported. All of the drawing tools toggle from draw to erase by holding the SHIFT key. In the fog tools, if you hold SHIFT while drawing you will un-expose the area you draw.
AHHH The all powerful shift key!! WOOHOO!!

Ok that will be great help, so only the future feature and we are in mapping heaven :)

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

trevor wrote:Hmmm, RPTroll, could you flesh out the idea a little bit ? I imagine that when token groups are implemented (move one token, move them all), copying them would also copy all the grouped tokens.

Well, here's my no-so-grand scheme for token groups :-)
Token groups should simulate a group select so that if I select a token group name (from a panel, menu, whatever) it should have the same effect as doing a group select in a map.

Adding a token or group of tokens to a group should be a right clickable thing. I could then quick select the groups for movment or right click on one of them to set a state, light, delete for the lot. Basically everything the normal group select does now.

Now, in my grand unified field theory of of combat screens ( that incorporates character sheet data, dice rolling and maps), there is actually a separate window that lists the tokens in a group and allows you to modify token's values from there. But that's in the far, far future.

Post by Guest »

RPTroll wrote:
trevor wrote:Hmmm, RPTroll, could you flesh out the idea a little bit ? I imagine that when token groups are implemented (move one token, move them all), copying them would also copy all the grouped tokens.

Well, here's my no-so-grand scheme for token groups :-)
Token groups should simulate a group select so that if I select a token group name (from a panel, menu, whatever) it should have the same effect as doing a group select in a map.

Adding a token or group of tokens to a group should be a right clickable thing. I could then quick select the groups for movment or right click on one of them to set a state, light, delete for the lot. Basically everything the normal group select does now.

Now, in my grand unified field theory of of combat screens ( that incorporates character sheet data, dice rolling and maps), there is actually a separate window that lists the tokens in a group and allows you to modify token's values from there. But that's in the far, far future.

I second that!! This is (much better phrased then my) exactly what I meant in my post above.

Return to “MapTool”