A shadow for mt drawn floor plans?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
teban
Giant

Post by teban »

Hey, how about a tool that lets you draw boxes, circles and freehand shapes and auto combines them into one outlined shape, that would be sweet for making maps then fill the shape with a unbounded texture then a drop shadow option for the outlined shape, have a directional and global shadow option.
another simple option is allowing some kind of feathering to the opacity option on drawable shapes.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

hmmmm ..... hmmmmm .... interesting. Have to think about that one a bit
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

teban wrote:Hey, how about a tool that lets you draw boxes, circles and freehand shapes and auto combines them into one outlined shape, that would be sweet for making maps then fill the shape with a unbounded texture then a drop shadow option for the outlined shape, have a directional and global shadow option.
another simple option is allowing some kind of feathering to the opacity option on drawable shapes.
I really like to see my art as I draw it instead of seeing marquee shapes all over the place that I have to fill at the end.

Imagine one of my massive caves or castles - could you imagine not seeing the map for days (becasue that is how long they can take sometimes to draw) becasue you cannot fill it until the very end so the shadows work?

Maybe perhaps I am not understanding what you said on this one ;)

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

dorpond wrote:
teban wrote:Hey, how about a tool that lets you draw boxes, circles and freehand shapes and auto combines them into one outlined shape, that would be sweet for making maps then fill the shape with a unbounded texture then a drop shadow option for the outlined shape, have a directional and global shadow option.
I really like to see my art as I draw it instead of seeing marquee shapes all over the place that I have to fill at the end.

Imagine one of my massive caves or castles - could you imagine not seeing the map for days (becasue that is how long they can take sometimes to draw) becasue you cannot fill it until the very end so the shadows work?

Maybe perhaps I am not understanding what you said on this one ;)
"then fill the shape with a unbounded texture"

For dorpond and others (like me =) who like to see what they are doing, you could just have it drawn as you go, but allow the texture to be changed later, which I think T said he plans anyway for 1.3 or 2.0 or somewhere along the line =)

teban
Giant

Post by teban »

I agree. What I meant was a tool like the drawable, but whenever shapes touch each other they would merge/outline (like pathfinding in Adobe Ill) themselves, this would make mapping a cavern/ room very quick. Picture making two large squares for rooms and joining then by a small rectangle/ door frame. The small box merges the two large room boxes and forms one outlined shape. That one shape could have the option for drop shadow and texture all in one. Now, don't get me wrong getting that to happen might only be slightly easier then landing a probe on mars. I don't know? but the speed for making interior maps (caves, rooms...ect) would be pretty sweet.

Return to “MapTool”