cant' start internet server

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
darkeness66
Giant

cant' start internet server

Post by darkeness66 »

I hope someone can help. I am trying to run a game, however I keep getting the message that the internet can not see my computer (yet I have no trouble surfing). I have gone so far as to disable my firewall, but no luck. I am on dsl with a wireless network. No computer on the network works to act as a server on the net, however I can run a lan connection fine.
:evil:

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Your router needs to be configured. There are firewall settings in most routers that you need to allow the port that you are using. So while your PC firewall is off, you need to direct all port traffic in the router to go to the PC that you are using as your host.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Find your router here:

http://www.portforward.com/english/rout ... rindex.htm

and follow the steps. Let us know how it goes !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

darkeness66
Giant

Got it!

Post by darkeness66 »

:D That did the trick! It only took about an hour of head scratching, desk slaming fun, but now I think I have things up and runnning.

Thanks for the help :mrgreen:

trevor

Post by trevor »

Awesome ! Glad it worked out for you, don't forget to post back how your game goes !

darkeness66
Giant

gaming experience

Post by darkeness66 »

My friend & I got a game up & running after trever fixed the latest bug. Pretty neat experience, but we needed a few more people. This is definetly an excellent resource for gaming though.

trevor

Re: gaming experience

Post by trevor »

darkeness66 wrote:My friend & I got a game up & running after trever fixed the latest bug. Pretty neat experience, but we needed a few more people. This is definetly an excellent resource for gaming though.
Come back and post often !

foxlynam
Kobold

Post by foxlynam »

Hey all, I run a fairly large on-line D&D group and we are looking to switch to MapTool for our battlemapper. In setting it up and testing, I have run into the same problem described above: No one can connect to my computer when i am host, and the RPTools site cannot see it when I test Connection.

No doubt it is a router issue, but following the directions above I got to the link, found my router, but what program am I forwarding ports for? I don't see mapTool, nor do I see RPTools.

Just wondering which to pick. I appologize for this stupid question (but my wife is the smart one in the family). :-)

Brett

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Welcome to the boards foxlynam!

Setting up a router is rather simple. Look at mine. I removed a lot of my personal information for my own protextion but you can see that I am forwarding port 51234 to 192.168.1.11

- The Application is just a name that you call it. It can be any name as long as you know what it is.
- The Start and End are the port ranges you are using. 51234 is the default.
- Then you point it to the PC of the host computers IP address. As you can see, mine is 192.168.1.11
- Make sure the check is set to enabled ;)

Hope this helps!

foxlynam
Kobold

Post by foxlynam »

Here is what I got. It is an old D-link so it is substantially less sophisticated than yours. (It still burns coal)

With this setup, it doesn't work. See anything amiss?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I don't see port 51234 being forwarded. What port are you using in Maptool? Also, what is the host PC's IP Address? Is it .11 or .102?

Also, I forgot to mention that with 1.2B18, the players will need to connect direct to your OUTSIDE IP address (unless you are all connecting around the tabletop - then you wouldn't ahve to worry about this at all). That is the address that you get from your ISP. So trying to hos tit to RPTools.net will not work with 1.2B18. Trevor is aware about the recent break.

foxlynam
Kobold

Post by foxlynam »

No, I don't have that port forwarded...As I said, all of these were pre-done by the router itself long ago. The IP is .11, I am not sure what that .102 is for. And I tried several of these ports in MapTool, (I had others enabled before i sent the post but figured they were not used so I would shut them off) but at the moment I had typed 6500 into the port box in Maptool.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I am not familiar with D-Link but I am a bit curious why it says "virtual Server" on the top of the screen. Is that the correct place to be? Do you have some place in there called Port Forwarding?

trevor

Post by trevor »

Virtual server is a common synonym for port forwarding.

Foxlynam, feel free to contact me via IM (info in my profile) and I can walk you through it

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

"Virtual Server" is the setting that some routers use for Port Forwarding (like my USR router.) So he's in the right place.

Not sure if this is his problem or not, but he might need to make his LAN ip static: http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

Return to “MapTool”