Calling all volunteers

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Cryotech
Cave Troll

Re: Calling all volunteers

Post by Cryotech »

Quick question, is it a requirement that I must download SVN in order to contribute to coding in my spare time or just to tinker with the code on the back end? If it isn't a mandatory need, where exactly do I download the source code itself? I've been to the sourceforge site and I can't find the actual SC to download without needing the SVN.

I have experience in the following languages: PHP, C, C++, Java, as well as database / server maintenance and web scripting languages (which aren't <i>technically</i> languages, I know lol) and I am experienced with Eclipse as I use that, in addition with MVC++ and CodeBlocks when I'm coding my C/C++ and PHP projects.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Calling all volunteers

Post by Azhrei »

Thanks for taking an interest. :)
Cryotech wrote:I've been to the sourceforge site and I can't find the actual SC to download without needing the SVN.
The SVN code browser has a link at the bottom of the page that let's you download a tarball (tar is a Unix utility for archiving multiple files under a single name so such archives are affectionately known as tarballs).

For example, visit http://rptools.svn.sourceforge.net/view ... ool/trunk/ and at the bottom of the page click the Download GNU tarball link. You'll get a tarball that you can extract somewhere on your system. (Most Windows utilities that work on ZIP files will work on tarballs as well.)

Of course, the biggest downside to this approach is that you lose the history of each file, i.e. there's no way to compare two versions unless you also download the tarball for that version as well. Since you already use Eclipse, I would strongly recommend just adding the Subversion plugin and the free Java-based Subversion connector to Eclipse. That will let you create a project by importing it from an SVN repository. A description of that is in the Developer Notes forum as a sticky thread.

Return to “MapTool”