Maptool: 'The Game'

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
wolph42
Winter Wolph

Maptool: 'The Game'

Post by wolph42 »

Bit of a weird topic, but I guess that its of interest to anyone visiting this forum.

Anyway, the last couple of months I've been working on 'Maptool The Game' (working title, cause it sucks) which is a framework which allow you to play solo. Basically its a dungeon crawler. What it does is:
- generates several random maps with dungeon
- Connects these dungeons with stairs
- populates these dungeons with furniture, objects, crates and of course: monsters
- has character generator
- has an inventory system
- allows you to start at ground floor and work your way down

Couple of pictures.
Inventory
Inventory
Inventory
Schermafdruk 2016-09-02 09.01.58.png (381.42 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
Random Dungeon
Dungeon
Dungeon
Schermafdruk 2016-09-02 09.20.16.png (1 MiB) Viewed 1088 times
Items
Items
Items
Schermafdruk 2016-09-02 09.20.55.png (353.51 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
Monsters
Monsters
Monsters
Schermafdruk 2016-09-02 09.21.26.png (155.5 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
For now I have 2 questions
Question 1
1. Im still looking for people to collaborate with, most stuff I've now done myself, but there's still a lot to be done. Note that I can use ANY skill, whether its:
- graphics
- coding
- story telling
- writing
- conceiving mischievous stuff
etc.
If you're interested: let me know.
Question 2
2. A more specific question concerning a snag I've just hit. Its with the inventory system. Let me first explain how it works:
The inventory screen is a map in maptools where you can shift stuff around to 'equip' or 'unequip'. E.g. you can drag the image of a rind from you backpack to your 'ring' finger. When you do that the magical property of that ring activates.
If you drag a 'Sword' to your left hand, you can start hitting monsters with it. There are 5 different types of inventory:
- ground: everything there is dropped when you exit the inventory
- backpack: pretty obvious
- pockets: same function as backpack, but its readily available (e.g. you can put potions there)
- quiver: contains ammo (arrows, bolts and spears)
- body: thats everything else. If you put anything on your body then its 'in use' (like a magical ring or a weapon)
Note that waist (belts) has two functions: storage (if you put on a 'dart belt' you can store darts) or body (if you put on a belt of strength)

If you look at the inventory picture you will see:
- a (spear) quiver
- a dart belt
- and a throwing dagger in the pocket
You might also note that they have counters on them, these indicate the amount of ammo you have left. And here's the snag:
If you carry a bow (a 'launching weapon') in your hand and a quiver with say 15 arrows, then logically you can shoot arrows and the counter goes down 1 after every shot. No problem there.
a. IF however if your carrying a spear (a 'throwing weapon') you again have a quiver with lets say 3 and one spear in your hand. Now does the 3 indicate the amount of TOTAL ammo (so: 2 in quiver, 1 in hand) or the CONTAINED ammo (so: 3 in quiver and 1 in hand)?
b. If you put a spear in your hand (and have a quiver with another 3 on your side). You exit the inventory and throw a spear at a monster, then you return to the inventory: do you still have a spear in your hand (and is the number on the quiver lower??)
c. If you make your hands empty, but still carry a spear quiver, can you then still throw spears in combat?
d. same for darts and throwing daggers.
there's more, but Ill leave it at here for now.

Your input, suggestions, comment is most welcome. Note if you have anything else to say or ask (in relation to the framework) don't hesitate to do so!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Maptool: 'The Game'

Post by aliasmask »

I would treat them as separate items. You would have a quiver with 3 spears and 1 spear in hand. Spears aren't technically ammo, but if you were talking about darts it would be the same way. They would have to put the spear or dart back in to the quiver to change the ammo amount for the quiver. There would be no global ammo amount. So, if you had 2 quivers or arrows holding 20 each then you wouldn't show 40 ammo but 20 and 20.

Oryan77
Dragon

Post by Oryan77 »

What kind of help do you need in regards to graphics? You have always helped me out so much with macros and things, I'd love a chance to return the favor.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Thanks for the offer! To be honest, at this moment I'm not sure, in the end I did most stuff myself, but there's bound to be some stuff I the future. I can give you access to the campaign file if you like , so you can have a look. Send me a pm if you're interested!

Return to “MapTool”