Competition

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
chrobry
Cave Troll

Competition

Post by chrobry »

it is always good to check out the "competition"

I think you should check out two tool one is called: klooge works (just google it) The other is no longer being developed called: Tmapper.

Both are java tools, that have some nice futures and some annoying ones. I just played with them a bit but let me give you quick run down of what I seen.

Klooge is paid program that is pretty complete in most things actually. What it does well is handle map re-sizing, chat/dice rolls and FOW, it even has ability to have DM secrets in the FOW. Some of the futures I think would be neat to copy, especially the special effects. What it doesn't do well is ability to have full screen maps (hide all windows except for map which makes it almost useless to me), token moves (It counts but not in D20 way, its generic).
Tmapper as I said is no longer being developped, but what you may want to check out is its grid setting tool, its bit cumbersome to do, but it gives you ability to adjust map sizes exactly.

Anyway as I said its good to check out competition and see what they are doing. Personally I think MapTool has better over all futures and design ideas.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Totally agree about the competition. We've had a couple forum posts that describe favorite features from other tools. and a couple reviews too.

Klooge is actually the reason MapTool exists. The lead designer used Klooge for their campaigns and really hated it. So we got together and started writing our own :)

Hadn't heard of tmapper before.

There's actually a very large number of other virtual maps. You can find a pretty good list over at one of our competitor's links page: http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/links.html
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

chrobry
Cave Troll

Post by chrobry »

trevor wrote:Totally agree about the competition. We've had a couple forum posts that describe favorite features from other tools. and a couple reviews too.

Klooge is actually the reason MapTool exists. The lead designer used Klooge for their campaigns and really hated it. So we got together and started writing our own :)

Hadn't heard of tmapper before.

There's actually a very large number of other virtual maps. You can find a pretty good list over at one of our competitor's links page: http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/links.html
AHM LOL SO ahm I guess nothing new :) move along onthing to see here

Return to “MapTool”