Masking tool por pictures

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Aspid
Kobold

Masking tool por pictures

Post by Aspid »

I was creating a campain to try this program that I recently found, and while I'm doing it I have created a beach, but I need to use 2 pictures, one for the ocean and other for the sand (also I could have use the picture of the ocean and a texture for the sand). Anyway it looks bad, because the line of the sea was straight line, so I thought of a masking tool.

I know that this is not a necesary tool because we can use a desing program to make this union and then import the picture, but maybe its easy to do, and save some time to future Maptool's users.

Greatings.
Last edited by Aspid on Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Masking tool por fictures

Post by Azhrei »

Well, you don't have to use a straight line (there is a freehand drawing tool), but there will still be a clear demarcation between sand and water. :|

There has been discussion of some kind of "blending" tool, but there are so many other higher priority things to work on and, as you said, such blending can be done in an external tool.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Re: Masking tool por pictures

Post by CoveredInFish »

I'd try to paint some water with lowered opacity below the sand along the edges. Its a little bit of work but the best kind of "blending" you can do in maptool AFAIK.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

CoveredInFish wrote:I'd try to paint some water with lowered opacity below the sand along the edges. Its a little bit of work but the best kind of "blending" you can do in maptool AFAIK.
One note, having images with lowered opacity DOES decrease the speed of rendering, so this should be used sparingly. If you have a large area to do, it is best done in a separate program such as GIMP, Photoshop, etc.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Thx for the advice.

Would this apply to textures I create in GIMP/PS with already lowered opacity - so i'd use them in MT at 100%?

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

CoveredInFish wrote:Thx for the advice.

Would this apply to textures I create in GIMP/PS with already lowered opacity - so i'd use them in MT at 100%?
Nope.. no extra overhead with external stamps or images that have reduced opacity.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Good to know, thanks.

Aspid
Kobold

Post by Aspid »

jfrazierjr wrote:One note, having images with lowered opacity DOES decrease the speed of rendering, so this should be used sparingly. If you have a large area to do, it is best done in a separate program such as GIMP, Photoshop, etc.
If is like you said, is better use other programs because it could be slow rigth now, and worst wit this, actually, I didn't think in this posibility.

Return to “MapTool”