Cannot Connect to Servers

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Erdan
Kobold

Cannot Connect to Servers

Post by Erdan »

Hi all - my first post. Sorry if it's not as descriptive as it needs to be!

This is the error I receive when attempting to connect to my friend's MapTool server:

"Could not load campaign.
java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out"

I have tried connecting to other servers and receive the following error:

"Could not load campaign.
java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect"

This is all using version 1.3.b63

I have version 1.3.b74 on my computer, but my friend uses b63, so I have been launching the b63 client to perform these connections.

I regularly host servers on b74 with my campaign and the other players connect without error. I just hosted using my b74 client with a different friend and he can connect to me. He hosted for me using his b74 client and I connected perfectly.

Is there a conflict between the two clients that is preventing me from connecting to servers using my b63 client? If so, how can I fix this issue?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Cannot Connect to Servers

Post by Azhrei »

Erdan wrote:Hi all - my first post. Sorry if it's not as descriptive as it needs to be!
Nope, it's pretty good actually. :)
This is the error I receive when attempting to connect to my friend's MapTool server:
Since you get an error connecting to him but others can connect to you, it's pretty clearly a problem on his end.
I have tried connecting to other servers and receive the following error:
Ditto my previous statement. Outbound connections are not blocked by firewalls or such unless you've got a really weird network setup.
I regularly host servers on b74 with my campaign and the other players connect without error. I just hosted using my b74 client with a different friend and he can connect to me. He hosted for me using his b74 client and I connected perfectly.
So your setup works in every case except with the one other particular user. I see a common thread here... 8)
Is there a conflict between the two clients that is preventing me from connecting to servers using my b63 client?
No. Multiple installations of MapTool does not cause the symptoms you're seeing.
If so, how can I fix this issue?
Grab the Networking FAQ PDF and send it to your friend (the only using b63) and have him read through it (so he understands the jargon) and then there are troubleshooting steps at the end.

The NFAQ is a sticky thread in the HowTo subforum.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out. We care.

Erdan
Kobold

Post by Erdan »

I'll bring this to his attention. Unfortunately, I'm not so sure - because his regulars can also connect to him flawlessly. The only difference between his regulars and me is the presence of the other version of MapTool on my PC.

As far as I know, anyway.

Will resume testing when we're both awake. Thank you for the help! I'll be back.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Erdan wrote:The only difference between his regulars and me is the presence of the other version of MapTool on my PC.
Makes no difference whatsoever.

Others can connect to him. Others can connect to you. You can't connect to him.

Sounds like a network issue between you and him. Can he connect to you?

Erdan
Kobold

Post by Erdan »

Phergus wrote:
Erdan wrote:The only difference between his regulars and me is the presence of the other version of MapTool on my PC.
Makes no difference whatsoever.

Others can connect to him. Others can connect to you. You can't connect to him.

Sounds like a network issue between you and him. Can he connect to you?
Not sure why I didn't try that. Will do and let you know.

Erdan
Kobold

Post by Erdan »

We've identified the issue as being on his end.

Thanks for all the help. Any suggestions for him on how to fix it? The error I posted earlier - is that typical of a port forwarding issue?

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

i would say not really, if other people can connect to him. what do we know about his set up? is he using UPnP, or directly doing the port forwarding himself? if he's doing it himself, something, such as a router reset, or computer reset, might have messed up his settings.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Not likely to be a port-forwarding issue unless others are also failing to connect.

Does he get the message on his end that you have connected? If so then it might by the transmit buffers size problem mentioned in the FAQ. Might also be the hardware checksum issue.

coreyhaim8mydog
Kobold

Post by coreyhaim8mydog »

I don't know if this is where I should post a question about the online capacities of MapTools, but this is where I am posting it based on a search.

My friend is trying to help me configure my MacBook to work with RPG Maptools. he asks me for the ports that MapTool uses and I, alas, do not see these listed specifically. I see port 51234 when I hit "start server".

Is that the only port MapTool uses?

I read the intro PDF on "MapTool Networking" and didn't find the solution. It is entirely possible that I am merely stupid, read said solution but did not recognize it as such.

Also, when I click "Start Server" I see no option for "Check Connection."

These are the specs:

MacBook
Airport Router
SB5120 Motorola modem via Comcast

Many thanks if anyone can help.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

coreyhaim8mydog wrote:I don't know if this is where I should post a question about the online capacities of MapTools, but this is where I am posting it based on a search.
This is as good a place as any. You definitely have the right forum anyway. :)
My friend is trying to help me configure my MacBook to work with RPG Maptools. he asks me for the ports that MapTool uses and I, alas, do not see these listed specifically. I see port 51234 when I hit "start server".
I also have a MacBook. Welcome! :)

Yes, 51234 is the default port that MapTool uses for public connections. There is also another port used for advertising a server within a local LAN but that's not important/useful if you're playing with people outside your own private network.
Also, when I click "Start Server" I see no option for "Check Connection."
That option recently changed. We had a problem with keeping an Internet-based server running 24x7 (it's a long story) so the "Text Connection" button was replaced with "Networking Help" (or something like that).
MacBook
Airport Router
SB5120 Motorola modem via Comcast

Many thanks if anyone can help.
You didn't actually ask any questions other than the port question, which I've answered. So hopefully that's all you needed. If there's anything else, ask again. :)

coreyhaim8mydog
Kobold

Post by coreyhaim8mydog »

Many thanks. So far it seems to be working. I need to get some peeps to try to log on and check for sure.

Macs are great. My old PC was a lumbering dino by comparison.

Return to “MapTool”